PDA

View Full Version : Low G on which uke

jricc
09-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Looking for some help here. I want to string one of my 3 ukes with a low G. I have a cheapie Makala Dolphin soprano, a Cordoba Protoge concert and a solid spruce top Ohana tenor. Which of these would you string with a low G?
Btw, I play the Makala soprano the most:o

Pete F
09-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Spruce tenor

Jim Hanks
09-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Tenor is the better answer. Concert can work if you want lower tension. Not the soprano.

jricc
09-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Thank u guys, appreciate your quick responses

captain-janeway
09-18-2018, 03:33 PM
I love low g on my concerts. I do mostly fingerpicking

Croaky Keith
09-18-2018, 10:20 PM
Low G on everything - well almost. :)

Kenn2018
09-19-2018, 05:49 AM
I have Low-G on all but two of my tenors: A Shelly Parks/Moodyville Walnut/Spruce Gypsy Jazz tenor and a Pono MGT Mango both of which sound great with re-entrant tuning. Oh, the soprano is re-entrant as well.

Last week I took my mango to the weekly club gathering and commented to a friend that I play Linear tuning so often now that re-entrant sounds off to me.

I don't care for the sound of wound strings, so almost all of my ukes have plain fluorocarbon strings. Either Living Waters or Worth Browns.

Lacole
09-19-2018, 07:17 AM
What sort of bridge do your ukuleles have. Slot or tie on bridge. My tenor has a tie on bridge which means I'd have to change two strings, the G string and loosen th C string to tuck in the G. My other ukuleles have a slot bridge would only have to change the G. Would prefer to change the tenor that said.
LaCole

stevejfc
09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Linear on the tenor, Re-entrant on the soprano. The concert, either way.

kerneltime
09-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Tenor is the better answer. Concert can work if you want lower tension. Not the soprano.
Why not :-) I have a dolphin with a low G.. not a one way street.. try it on all!

Jim Hanks
09-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Why not :-) I have a dolphin with a low G.. not a one way street.. try it on all!

Why not? Cuz I said so. :p
Seriously, OP said the soprano was the most played uke, so there’s no reason to mess with it. You are right that it can work, it’s just harder to find a string with the right tension, and the body size isn’t ideal for the lower frequencies either.

jricc
09-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Why not? Cuz I said so. :p
Seriously, OP said the soprano was the most played uke, so there’s no reason to mess with it. You are right that it can work, it’s just harder to find a string with the right tension, and the body size isn’t ideal for the lower frequencies either.

THIS! Before i posted my question, i tried the low G on the soprano, and it was floppy and barely heard over the other 3 strings, so off it came. Im going to try on the concert next. Thank u all for your responses!

kerneltime
09-19-2018, 05:04 PM
THIS! Before i posted my question, i tried the low G on the soprano, and it was floppy and barely heard over the other 3 strings, so off it came. Im going to try on the concert next. Thank u all for your responses! Cool! You tried :-)

Kenn2018
09-19-2018, 06:06 PM
I play tenors almost exclusively. I have Low-G tuning on most of them. The two I still have re-entrant tuning on just don't sound quite right to me now.

Croaky Keith
09-19-2018, 10:22 PM
I have found that I don't like wound strings, & certainly not on concert or soprano, that is why I use fluorocarbon strings - they worked perfectly well as low G on soprano.