Vintage Martin sops

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I was reading a thread somewhere, where the OP said he preferred a vintage Style 3M over the lower vintage Martin mahogany models, saying that the Style 3 had a “darker” sound.

In my own experience, I’ve compared a 40s Style 0 with an early 60’s Style 2 side-by-side, both with M600 strings. I find the Style 0 more crisp, while the Style 2 is richer, and more mellow, both equally loud with good bark, but the Style 2 just seems to have more mids, which could be considered darker. I know each individual uke can be different, but these vintage Martins are all mahogany, with the same construction, except for appointments and an ebony board on a Style 3, and maybe better quality wood as you go up the line. What say you on significant differences in sound, if any, on the various vintage Martin soprano models?

Reading some old topics I came across this one. Surprised that nobody had a response (not that I have one!)

My experience with 75+ year old Martin sopranos is that they do very a little in overall sound (all are good) the more expensive ones had a better chance of coming through unscathed. It seems that even the legendary instrument have been repaired along the line, and some say for the better. I personally hope so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom