Pono Ohai series (Why so cheap?)

bobbitybobman

Reaction score
After months of careful hoarding from my minimum wage job, I finally have enough money to buy a solid tenor ukulele in the 350 dollar range. I was searching in Pono's website, when I saw their new Ohai series and saw that they were around a hundred dollars cheaper then the next model, I grew a bit suspicious. Why are they so cheap? And should I consider getting one?

I think it's just because 'ohai wood is cheaper than other tone woods.

Correct, it's a more cost efficient wood(pono's new economy line), and also it is more simply adorned(does not feature the rosettes, inlay, purfling, binding, ebony pieces, gloss finish..etc). Comes with a gigbag rather then the lavish 90-100$ Koolau deluxe hardshell case

Last edited:
Yeah, it's b/c the wood is cheaper and you don't get the bomb Pono case. I'd actaully suggest that you go for the more expensive mahogany just so you get the case with it, because it feels like a much better deal to me, just because the case is THAT impressive and substantial. Even better, go used. You can get a used mahogany pono tenor if you look around online, for the same price as a new Ohai one, if you want to save money.

Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the infos. Luckily, someone on the UU had the great mindset to post a Pono PTS (The Mahogany Deluxe with Spruce top) for not much more than a new Pono OT (The Ohai model).

Now to find some low-G strings and heartlessly rip off Brittini Paiva.

Thanks everyone for the infos. Luckily, someone on the UU had the great mindset to post a Pono PTS (The Mahogany Deluxe with Spruce top) for not much more than a new Pono OT (The Ohai model).

Now to find some low-G strings and heartlessly rip off Brittini Paiva.

Did you buy it? Sweet score!

I love love love mine.

I have a vid of mine in my sig.

Look forward to seeing a vid of you playing it.

Top Bottom