Rationalizing a new uke purchase.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I told myself I wasn't going to do it. I said that I was good with 3 ukes and that I wasn't going to buy any more. Sure, there were some temptations along the way but that only lasted for a while before the temptation went away. Then I saw **"uke X". Suddenly I'm in the process of buying a 4th. It's a sickness! ;) At first I tried resisting the temptation of another uke but then ......... rationalizing set in and my resistance weakened pretty quickly. It kind of made me laugh thinking about how I talked myself into it. Here's me rationalizing myself into buying it:

- My wife and daughters are going on a pricey trip to Disney World next month without me. The cost of this uke would be a small fraction of what it would have cost for me to go on the trip too.

- The balance on my PayPal account from selling a bunch of my stuff on Ebay will cover most of the cost.

- The uke is beautiful and I'll never see another one like it. Do I want to pass up this opportunity?

- I know I don't need it but if we all bought only the things we needed we'd all have a lot more money!

- It's not exactly cheap for what it is but it's not too expensive either.

- I already have 2 all-solids and a solid-top laminate but I don't have an all-laminate.

- This uke is about $150 cheaper than another uke I was fantasizing about for a while!

- I'll look cool playing it!

- I can buy this one and THEN I'm done! :D

How do you rationalize buying a uke that you don't need and probably shouldn't buy?

**I'm not identifying "uke X" until I actually have it in my hands and have paid for it. It's in a small town music store about 45 minutes from home and I'm not able to get there until next week. I don't want to jinx it!

Last edited:
Ha, ha, ALL of my ukes have cost me less than some people would have spent on a holiday - they've had their holiday - but I've still got my ukes! :D

We all wonder why we keep on buying ukes, but in truth, we were looking for 'the right one' - I found mine & haven't bought another since. :)

(Good luck with your new soon to be uke.)

I'd say I was going to borrow your list, but I don't rationalize anymore. I've given up on that. I have no self-control when it comes to ukes. If I like it, I buy it - considering the price, of course. I received two yesterday, another one will arrive today, and I'm making plans to build another one. I like having all types of ukes, and ones with a unique appearance call out to me. I must admit that I still use your last excuse. : )

My favorite rationalization is, "This is too good of a deal to pass up". I've used it for the last three UAS episodes and I'm considering using it again soon.

the one I'm TRYING to use is that I always give money to other people and good causes, and spend almost nothing on myself except a decent holiday every year. Oh and wine :cool:

Pretty sure with a $500 budget pretty much every ukulele player could fully stock themselves with all they NEED to play well and enjoy the instrument.
That said, I'm a big advocate for dispensing with rationality and coming to terms with what you WANT so as to be stoked to play. For me the result is instruments going out, instruments coming in and just trying not to make too heavy a footprint on family finances. "Under control" is a relative term, but if the worst is that you're buying a ukulele, then I think most rational arguments against can be overlooked*.

*He said after getting a Kamaka HF-3 in the mail yest.

After a year & a half of playing the ukulele and buying a lot of different sizes & brands, I’ve zeroed in on my preferred size. I have 4 ukes that I like & that fit my needs. My UAS is currently in remission, but that doesn’t stop me from “window shopping.” I scan the usual places daily just in case something catches my eye. I’ve been very tempted by a few lately, but not enough to buy or replace one that I already have. However, this could always change. Headed for the LA Ukulele Festival today, and I’ll be surrounded by temptation!

I'm also headed to the LA Uke Festival this morning!

My latest rationalizations are "but the sound is so cool, and different from what I already have" and "but I really want to support the builder".

Tyde and Iriguchi are supposed to be here today and I am extremely excited to see both and play their instruments for the first time, particularly Iriguchi. It should be a blast. Today my reason for not buying a uke will be that I physically can't carry it on the plane on the way home tonight, otherwise the likelihood of buying something is sadly high!

Life is short. I deal with a lot of elderly in my line of work. They all say the same thing, do it now, do it while you can. There will come a day that you can't. A great man ( I forget whom) said " We regret the things that we don't do in life the most"

I remember my Dad saying not long before he died

"when I was younger there were so many things I wanted to do, and I didn't have the money, and now I've got all the money in the world but I can't do any of them" ...

You don't need to justify it.

I don't hold back with UAS, I have 8 ukes and 20 bass ukes/mini bass guitars. The only thing controlling me is that my ukes are in a display case which holds only 8 so I have to get rid of one when I want another, but my basses are on a wall with room for at least 10 more.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I really can’t see why you’re hesitant. It seems, from, your original post, that you have the funds stashed away so it’s not a question of basic needs vs treating yourself to a fine instrument. It also seems that you will get longer lasting pleasure with the Uke than from a vacation to Disney World. This is a no brainer. If you feel uncomfortable later, sell one of your old Ukes to reduce anxiety. That’s what I do.

I really can’t see why you’re hesitant. It seems, from, your original post, that you have the funds stashed away so it’s not a question of basic needs vs treating yourself to a fine instrument. It also seems that you will get longer lasting pleasure with the Uke than from a vacation to Disney World. This is a no brainer. If you feel uncomfortable later, sell one of your old Ukes to reduce anxiety. That’s what I do.

I'm not as tormented or afflicted as I may have made it sound in my original post. I'm just having a little fun with a situation a lot of people here experience at one time or another. When I sell my stuff on Ebay I often use that money for fun things. I have enough to pay for about 2/3rds of the uke so the rest would come out of household funds and I don't want to spend household funds on something so indulgent and unnecessary so in this case, future Ebay sales will have to be dedicated to paying off the debt I'll owe to household funds. This is a beautiful uke but it doesn't qualify as a "fine" instrument like those in your signature. The manufacturer calls it a "mid-range" option. As for the Disney trip, I was never going to go so that was money we were never going to spend but that didn't stop me from using that hypothetical spending to help me rationalize purchasing another uke. This will be my 4th uke which I think is still "reasonable" and managable and the practical and realistic me says that this will be the limit. If another uke catches my fancy somewhere down the road and I can't resist buying it then I'll have to follow your example and sell one of my old ones.

Last edited:
I needed to buy that uke RIGTH AWAY!
It had been out of stock for a long time in all of Europe, and they only got one in their shipment!

And I just had a lot of overtime at work, so I deserve it!

And I only bougth one other uke in the last year and a half. No, that guitar I bougth in the spring doesnt count.

I hope it arrives next week :)

its an interesting psychological thing I agree. I am personally back and forward about buying a uke that probably costs less than a pair of boots I know several neighbours have bought without batting an eyelid.

My hesitation is based on the 'I have a ukulele that is perfectly good for my needs so why do I want another'?

And the flip side of that is as others have said, if you don't spend your money having enjoyment what's the point of having money or living?

It might be a residual from the 'thou shalt not do anything that will remotely bring you joy' which was still kind of prevalent where and when I grew up.

Possibly need to channel my inner Hawaiian a bit more ;)

I needed to buy that uke RIGTH AWAY!
It had been out of stock for a long time in all of Europe, and they only got one in their shipment!

And I just had a lot of overtime at work, so I deserve it!

And I only bougth one other uke in the last year and a half. No, that guitar I bougth in the spring doesnt count.

I hope it arrives next week :)

oh come on you need to tell us what it is then ;)

oh come on you need to tell us what it is then ;)

Anuenue solid african Mahogany tenor...
With slotted headstock, gloss finish and abelone Rosette.

It will be the most blingy ukulele I have.
I was listening to different ukulele sound samples online to determine what upgrade was right for me, including anuenues moon bird series and the K brands, but this one really spoke to me.

Last edited:
Ha, ha, ALL of my ukes have cost me less than some people would have spent on a holiday - they've had their holiday - but I've still got my ukes! :D

We all wonder why we keep on buying ukes, but in truth, we were looking for 'the right one' - I found mine & haven't bought another since. :)

(Good luck with your new soon to be uke.)

Well what IS IT?

Top Bottom