Commissioned a custom tenor from Steve Doreen

fretie

Reaction score
I took the leap!

Luthier Steve Doreen of Lone Tree, on Vancouver Island, built a stunning soprano for me earlier this year which is the perfect instrument for the parts I play in section 3 of Vancouver’s Ruby Ukes ukulele orchestra. The soprano has a western hemlock top, west coast maple back and sides and pacific yew binding, fretboard and bridge. It have a strong voice and well balanced tone and being only soprano size, is easy to squeeze into the oftentimes crowded settings we find ourselves in when we rehearse and perform.

The other musical context that I frequent, twice weekly, are my local community ukulele circles. Here the energy is charged with unbridled enthusiasm and the variety of skill levels often results in a buffet of raw sound. I was working my soprano to the max in this setting and started to wonder whether a tenor would better suit this party of pitches. To this end I purchased a not very expensive but surprisingly well made solid wood VTab tenor.

Indeed, as I had hoped, the tenor offered a wider range of sound and volume requiring much less effort to strum and pick. It fit the ukulele circle better than my soprano; yes, now I could actually hear myself play!

So, the logical next step seemed to get a sister to my Lone Tree soprano. I have asked Steve Doreen to build a tenor for me, again using west coast woods. We have decided on a driftwood red cedar top cut from a log that Steve salvaged from the island. He will build the back and sides from some local black cherry wood and for the binding, fretboard and bridge Steve has suggested west coast maple (similar to the back and sides of the soprano).

I am hoping this new uke will have good volume and a warm tone. As with all his builds, Steve’s Lone Tree tenor will undoubtedly have handsome looks to go along with a terrific sound.

The build should start by mid October and be completed late November. I. am. so. stoked!

I am anxious to see some pics of the wood. The driftwood red cedar/black cherry in particular.

The anticipation of a custom build is almost better than actually getting the finished product. This sounds like a good one!

The anticipation of a custom build is almost better than actually getting the finished product. This sounds like a good one!

Yes, too true, the anitipation...it used to make me oh-so antsy, but now I savour every moment of waiting for somehing special.

I am really liking the wood choices for this ukulele and I am keenly waiting on pictures and sound samples.

78962D66-2DFE-4CAD-B3D0-318C2BFFECA7.jpg

And this is the west coast red cedar for the soundboard. It will have that classic cedar look with a satin finish and should have some subtle black lines in the grain pattern.

How. Is the build coming?

Looking forward to some pix.

I have the Driftwood Cedar concert, perhaps from the same billet with a Tillicum Park eucalyptus back.

My “Angels Harp.” is one of the two ukes that dosent irritate my wife. Great instruments from Steve.

40AA203C-5FE0-48DF-B789-A2E91BCF84C0.jpg

How. Is the build coming?

Looking forward to some pix.

I have the Driftwood Cedar concert, perhaps from the same billet with a Tillicum Park eucalyptus back.

My “Angels Harp.” is one of the two ukes that dosent irritate my wife. Great instruments from Steve.

View attachment 115493

Hey Teej, good to meet another member of the Lone Tree family!

It was hard to make out the details of your cedar top concert uke in the photo you posted, do you have some higher resolution photos to share?

Here are a few photos of the finished tenor. Such a fine sounding uke which has now become my primary uke. I play it daily, use it for our Luongo ensemble, Ruby’s orchestra and our twice weekly meetup groups.

30276137-F9DB-4157-BED2-5D80589A2DDF.jpg

94BDDCAA-B71D-49F5-8522-BB410036B340.jpg

I’m glad you are enjoying your west coast tenor ��
The concert uke was my Steve Doreen Guitars model from a couple years ago. I changed up the headstock and body design for my Lone Tree brand. I kept my bracing design that I have been using for many years. It’s my voice. ��
The two soundboards were cut from a different billet of driftwood.
Enjoy
Steve

I’m glad you are enjoying your west coast tenor ��
The concert uke was my Steve Doreen Guitars model from a couple years ago. I changed up the headstock and body design for my Lone Tree brand. I kept my bracing design that I have been using for many years. It’s my voice. ��
The two soundboards were cut from a different billet of driftwood.
Enjoy
Steve

Thanks for filling us in, Steve. I love the pass through on the brace that is near the sound hole, cool design!

Top Bottom