PDA

View Full Version : Strings for KoAloha Tenor

Jerryc41
09-23-2018, 01:35 AM
I'm thinking about trying different strings on my KoAloha tenor. Worth Brown seem to be popular, and so do Martin fluorocarbon. I'd also like to put a low G on it. I'm not sure what's on it now (bought used), but they're white.

I know that choosing strings is like picking a color for a new car, but I'd like to hear what you people think.

Choirguy
09-23-2018, 03:34 AM
If you want low G and fluorocarbon, I’d look at Worth Clears and Living Waters...and it might be worth trying Sugar Strings On it, too (don’t know if the low G is wound).

g'est
09-23-2018, 05:38 AM
If you want low G and fluorocarbon, I’d look at Worth Clears and Living Waters...and it might be worth trying Sugar Strings On it, too (don’t know if the low G is wound).

I highly agree with Living Waters and Worth Clears. I've tried lots of strings on my Koaloha tenor and those two sound the best. I wouldn't recommend Martin strings for a Koaloha (even though Martins are otherwise great), because high tension strings don't generally seem to suit Koaloha the best. I emailed Koaloha once and they also said that they normally stick with medium tension strings as they feel that resonates better with their ukuleles.

Jerryc41
09-23-2018, 05:53 AM
I highly agree with Living Waters and Worth Clears. I've tried lots of strings on my Koaloha tenor and those two sound the best. I wouldn't recommend Martin strings for a Koaloha (even though Martins are otherwise great), because high tension strings don't generally seem to suit Koaloha the best. I emailed Koaloha once and they also said that they normally stick with medium tension strings as they feel that resonates better with their ukuleles.

Thanks! I ordered two sets of the Worth Clear Low G from Strings by Mail.

Ukecaster
09-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Thanks! I ordered two sets of the Worth Clear Low G from Strings by Mail.
Jerry, in case you didn't know, each set of Worth strings usually contains strings long enough for 2 full sets, so you will have enough for 4 tenors. Hope you like them.

Jerryc41
09-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Jerry, in case you didn't know, each set of Worth strings usually contains strings long enough for 2 full sets, so you will have enough for 4 tenors. Hope you like them.

Ah, I seem to remember hearing that. It's good of them to do that.

frianm
09-23-2018, 11:00 AM

They do. I play a Kamaka tenor so it is not a real testimony about them on Koaloha. I put a set of browns on a mahogany Braddah tenor with great results.The Kamaka has clears. I have clear Worths on my Koaloha Opio long neck soprano and the sound is amazing. I like the clears and the browns and they have become my strings of choice. I prefer the high g to get the ukulele sound. I do like the Living Waters very much. I am not so thrilled with the Aquila sugar strings.