Given Up on LEDs

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I wanted to put blinking LEDs inside my Waterman clear. I bought a set, and they worked for about two minutes. Unfortunately, I waited too long to try them, so I couldn't return them.

Last week, I bought a set of four LED light sets. Two died almost immediately, and the other two were dead the next day. Before taking them out of the uke, I took a quick picture. These were originally many different colors. All five sets defaulted to green failure and then stopped working. These four will go back to Amazon tomorrow.

I wonder why they can't make reliable lights. Reviews for different brands show the same complaint - very short life.

Waterman Clear-sm.jpg

I had a clear waterman. I bought a set of lights at Hobby Lobby and they lasted for the whole Christmas season. Then I took them out because I gave the ukulele away, and hung them under a shelf in my basement. That was last year, and they are still working. I switch them on whenever we have company. I also have a lava lamp. That has absolutely nothing to do with the string of lights, but I thought that I would mention it. The string runs on two AA batteries. They have a solid setting and a blinking setting. I don't know why you are having so much trouble with them. The ones that I bought are nothing special. I think that I paid six bucks for the set. Maybe start by not ordering them from Amazon.

Last edited:
I had a clear waterman. I bought a set of lights at Hobby Lobby and they lasted for the whole Christmas season. Then I took them out because I gave the ukulele away, and hung them under a shelf in my basement. That was last year, and they are still working. I switch them on whenever we have company. I also have a lava lamp. That has absolutely nothing to do with the string of lights, but I thought that I would mention it. The string runs on two AA batteries. I don't know why you are having so much trouble with them. The ones that I bought are nothing special. I think that I paid six bucks for the set. Maybe start by quit ordering them from Amazon.

It seems to be that they either work fine, or they don't, judging by the reviews. After trying five sets, I'm done with these. Maybe I'll catch some fireflies next summer and put them in there. : )

I might wait until the holiday season. There are lots of LED mini lights for mini Xmas trees (think table top) that would probably work.

I have a clear Waterman and I put some LED mini lights in it and they worked fine. I have since taken them out but I am sure they would work if I switched them on.

It would never occur to me to put leds in a transparent uke. What a fun idea.
Does the ukulele with a place to put the LEDs, or did you just put them in?

It would never occur to me to put leds in a transparent uke. What a fun idea.
Does the ukulele with a place to put the LEDs, or did you just put them in?

It's a Waterman, so it sounds just as good as it sounded before. I drilled a small hole in the back of the body and ran the thin wires inside. If they had worked, I would have attached the battery pack to the uke with Velcro. Someone suggested trying Michael's for LEDs, although I suspect they are all made in the same Chinese factory. :)

I got the idea from someone here who posted a picture of his.

I just stuffed them inside the sound hole. I ran the wires out of the sound hole around the back where I used some double stick tape to hold the switch/battery in place. It was fun but the waterman is not a great ukulele and I didn’t enjoy playing it much. I still have it and if I have to play in the rain or floating down a river I’ll get it out. It’s more a novelty then an instrument. I like most Kala products but that was not one of their best efforts.

I just stuffed them inside the sound hole. I ran the wires out of the sound hole around the back where I used some double stick tape to hold the switch/battery in place. It was fun but the waterman is not a great ukulele and I didn’t enjoy playing it much. I still have it and if I have to play in the rain or floating down a river I’ll get it out. It’s more a novelty then an instrument. I like most Kala products but that was not one of their best efforts.

I have since gotten two other waterproof ukes (Outdoor Carbon and Klos), so I have no need for my red Waterman. I'll put it on eBay.

I have since gotten two other waterproof ukes (Outdoor Carbon and Klos), so I have no need for my red Waterman. I'll put it on eBay.

Well from the videos the Klos looks to be pretty darn durable, but it sure ain't waterproof given the wood neck and fretboard. If you're going on a canoe trip I'd stick with the Outdoor Carbon instead!

There are some sound activated some and motion sensor compact led set-ups if you look around. Mostly on sites which sell camping gear. You could put the light inside and it should come on when you start playing, no need for switches etc..

Thanks for the suggestion, but this was intended as more of a decoration than a uke I'd be playing.

Top Bottom