So I just bought a Carnival Plastic...

JT_Ukes

Reaction score
Looks good - one of the larger Carnivals - I only have the smaller sopraninos. They play well. I bought one of the 21 " Carnivals for my brother and its action is a bit high. The action on mine are great though, so you'll just have to wait to see when you get it how the action is.

You'll find that the strings on yours is actually just 2 strings. They go down to the bridge and then back up on the next string. You can put 4 strings on and it should be fine.

As for the kind of strings, I currently prefer Bushman. They sound great on the plastics I've put them on. I put Aquilas on my brother's uke and they fell way too hard for it. D'Addarios are good, but the Bushman seem to give them more volume.

The Carnival is not the best of the plastics. I'd say the Islander and TV Pal are tops with the Fin-Der, Happy-Tune, Flamingo next and the Carnival a close 3rd. But there are many factors involved and if your uke was taken care well the past 50-60 years, you may have a real gem!:)

Please post pics of the action when you get it and I can't wait to see your first video!

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be sure to post a video when I get it.

I'm thinking for 16 bucks, it's all good.

I'll try the Bushmans. They do well on my kids Makala dolphin. I should order a set for my Spongbob Uke while I'm at it.

JT

Nice find (what a deal too!)

Plastic ukes have a really neat tone. A certain punk rock quality. As long as you don't try to compare them to wood ukes...

Last edited:
That IS a nice find. Obviously the seller doesn't know what it is.

I have a '50s Islander myself and I really like it.
Sure I will not compare it with my other (wood) ukes but I still pick it up almost daily because it's simply fun to play :)

I wouldn't go with any fancy strings or anything like that (although I would advise low tension strings), keep it cheap and plasticky :p

That IS a nice find. Obviously the seller doesn't know what it is.

I have a '50s Islander myself and I really like it.
Sure I will not compare it with my other (wood) ukes but I still pick it up almost daily because it's simply fun to play :)

I wouldn't go with any fancy strings or anything like that (although I would advise low tension strings), keep it cheap and plasticky :p

thanks! :)

Top Bottom