Looking for the Brand Name

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Whenever I see a ukulele, I can't help looking at the headstock to see what brand it is. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's OCD, or maybe I want to make a mental note of a brand to buy or avoid buying. It's frustrating when the player has a tuner there. : )

Do any of you have the habit of discovering what brand of uke is in front of you?

I always try to figure out the brand for Ukes I see played. Same for guitars, when I see someone play on TV I keep hoping the camera angle will allow me to figure out the brand. I don’t play guitar but I am still intrigued by brands people choose. Especially if they are decent players.

I do that too. I don't know why I'm brand conscious, it isn't like any of my ukuleles are particularly noteworthy. But I am going to a ukulele festival and I have to decide which ukulele to take. The one I want to take is my cheapest most unassuming laminate ukulele with rusty tuners and most of the finish worn off of it. The one I will take is probably going to be my shiny solid mahogany one, just because it is my most expensive ukulele. What is wrong with me?

Last edited:
But I am going to a ukulele festival and I have to decide which ukulele to take. The one I want to take is my cheapest most unassuming laminate ukulele with rusty tuners and most of the finish worn off of it.

I think the same way. I like to bring something small, not too expensive, but somewhat tough - like a Flea or a Fluke. I was surprised to see a guy with a Beau Hannam at a recent event. Several ukes dropped on the floor at that event - careless ukers! :)

I think the same way. I like to bring something small, not too expensive, but somewhat tough - like a Flea or a Fluke. I was surprised to see a guy with a Beau Hannam at a recent event. Several ukes dropped on the floor at that event - careless ukers! :)
None of my ukuleles are remarkable. I don't have anything remotely like a Beau Hannan. I've got three is all, and they are all three well used and scratched up, some just more than others. But I'm not worried about damaging any of them. It isn't anything about that. I want to take the cheap one because I like the sound the best. I'm not going to name off brands and what I think of each one, but my cheapie is the one I like best. I'm just always a bit embarrassed to show up with it. I guess that I think people won't take me seriously when I show up with a beat up $65 laminate. I shouldn't even care, but I do. I'm so shallow.:)

Last edited:
None of my ukuleles are remarkable. I don't have anything remotely like a Beau Hannan. I've got three is all, and they are all three well used and scratched up, some just more than others. But I'm not worried about damaging any of them.

It's like when you have to drive into the city, you use an old, banged-up car. : )

Yes I do the same thing when I see any instrument that might be identified by the head stock. It annoys me when I am watching a show and you cannot get a good view of the headstock.

There is a reason why the larger ukulele companies sponsor well-known players and come out with signature ukulele models.

It's why professional sports; golf club makers, tennis racquet makers, fishing equipment, auto makers, well any sport equipment makers; sponsor players and teams. It translates to increased sales. I mean, c'mon, is a famous label shirt going to make my tennis game better? Is wearing last year's design going to make my game worse. Sure, there ARE technological advances that have made big differences in a sport. Like wood vs. aluminum vs. carbon fiber tennis racquets. But I still don't play as well as any of the pros.

We all want to play like the pros. And maybe that Kamaka will make me sound a little better and more like that player whose concert I went to.

Plus, that uke looked and sounded soooooooooooo good!

Oh, you might find me a bit irritating. I bought a Martin T1K secondhand and the Martin label on the headstock had peeled off. The seller included a new decal but I decided to go no logo. I mean I'm not a great player so why flash the brand. A few times, someone has looked at my uke and then peeked in the soundhole and said, "ooohhh, a Martin."

Top Bottom