Good news about CITES coming?

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Yesterday we drove up to Chicago for a CITES inspection. The USDA- APHIS agent inspecting our shipment was saying he thinks that musical instruments may get "a waiver" in the future. The annual meeting in Geneva is in a few months and he said he expects that it will be discussed. He said he thought it would have been talked about last year, but it wasn't. He acknowledged that it is a unfair burden to music companies who, as he said, "have shown they are happy to comply with the regulations" and stressed that furniture companies were the primary target. I asked if he thought the list would be expanded and he said he did not think that would happen.
Granted, this is only his professional opinion, but this is the 2nd time I've heard this sort of conversation from an agent. Maybe they just feel sorry for me having to drive 5 hours to Chicago every time I ship a ukulele to the UK.

Unfortunately, criminals always come out on top because they obey the laws.

I have two quibbles with this statement.

1. Criminals, by definition, break the law. A person who obeys the law is a law-abiding citizen.

2. Are you arguing against the concept of law? I find that to be an interesting position...

Robinboyd, I too read Jerryc41 literally, but decided he had committed a Trumpism - where someone says something which is clearly wrong, or inappropriate, then can only defend it by saying they did not mean what they said; omitted a word; used a word incorrectly etc.

Of course, robinboyd could be smirking behind well concealed sarcasm.

John Colter.

Robinboyd, I too read Jerryc41 literally, but decided he had committed a Trumpism - where someone says something which is clearly wrong, or inappropriate, then can only defend it by saying they did not mean what they said; omitted a word; used a word incorrectly etc.

John Colter.

Actually, I read Jerry's comment while in a really foul mood. Sorry Jerry. I should have just let it be.

The problem of overuse of scarce resources, pressure on environments leading to extinction of other species, excessive CO2 emissions, the growing problem of build up of waste plastic - these are all the result of there being far too many human being on this planet.

"It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion; and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion."

Nature will find a way to even things out - probably sooner rather than later.

John Colter.

Actually, I read Jerry's comment while in a really foul mood. Sorry Jerry. I should have just let it be.

That's okay. It showed me that I left out two key words. I usually read my posts before posting them, but I guess I didn't read carefully enough. :(

- these are all the result of there being far too many human being on this planet.

"It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion; and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion."

John Colter.

What we have to do is find out why the population is expanding and do something about that. If only we could figure out why so many babies are being born. :D

John Colter.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I left out "do not." Please don't confuse me with Trump. : )

The problem of overuse of scarce resources, pressure on environments leading to extinction of other species, excessive CO2 emissions, the growing problem of build up of waste plastic - these are all the result of there being far too many human being on this planet.

John Colter.

You maybe mean a nuclear war? I do also think it as an only solution to save the planet's variety of ecosystem. We are the weakest link and need to go first.

We can try limit our consumption and preproduction as long as we are here though as a species. The original poster's one I find a bit so so in that regard lol.

You maybe mean a nuclear war? I do also think it as an only solution to save the planet's variety of ecosystem. We are the weakest link and need to go first.

We can try limit our consumption and preproduction as long as we are here though as a species. The original poster's one I find a bit so so in that regard lol.

Care to explain yourself? , sounds like you are making some assumptions.

Sorry about that, Bill. The older I get, the more pessimistic I become. I should do more playing.

John Colter.

Here you go.

"A consensus was reached at the 70th meeting of the CITES Standing Committee, which took place in Sochi, Russia last week, which could see musical instruments finally exempted from the CITES II environmental safeguards.

The Committee will exempt “finished musical instruments”, “finished musical instrument parts” and “finished musical instrument accessories” from its licensing requirements, although the exact definition of those terms will be defined in a proposal document prepared in cooperation with the EU.

If successful the proposal could be adopted at the next CITES meeting in May 2019 and pass into law by September next year.

One compliance matter discussed by the Committee concerned exports of African rosewood from Nigeria. Since the beginning of 2018, Nigeria has authorised over 180,000 m3 of the timber to China and Vietnam, without first making sure that these exports will not threaten the survival of the species. The Committee decided to recommend suspension of commercial trade in this timber species until Nigeria has made a non-detriment finding for the species in the country." Lifted from MMR

So maybe by September 2020 reason will prevail.

John Colter.

That’s pretty much my take on things too, rather depressing but seemingly inevitable. I’ve no idea how the resolution will come but we’ve got pretty good at managing disease so I’m expecting the ‘Grim Reaper’ to use a different means of population control. You don’t have to look very far to find war and conflict going on in some place, lots of people and governments competing for scarce resources. The problems with greed, envy, thoughtless lifestyles and over population seem, to me, to be rooted within human nature (which isn’t going to change anytime soon). My confidence in politicians is generally weak too, some are idealists who really just don’t understand how life actually does work in practice, some appear to be in it for the money and others dam those in Goverment regardless of their actions for the simple reason that someone else (rather than them) is in power.

Good news about Cities though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom