Check out this cool uke

Wild. I wonder if it would be louder w/o the extra wood on the top.

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't the extra wood inhibit the soundboard from vibrating to its fullest potintial. I have seen similar ukes, with the extra wood, on ebay but never in person.

Guess someone will have to buy it and inform us all.

this reminds me of 1970s cowboy shirts.. which if you know me.. then you know i likes!! i am not sure why it does.. i think it is cool looking for sure..
Yes, it does look like one of those shirts. In high school I made one of those stupid-ass shirts for a boyfriend. Lots of work and he didn't appreciate it.......

i was looking at that earlier, its in the UK too.... hmmmmm....

Well the extra wood probably doesn't help but I'm not sure that it hurts much. From everything that I've learned and understand the vast majority of the sound comes from below the sound hole, the lower bout that is. Think of the sound board as being a speaker diaphragm which includes all the area below the lower sound hole brace. I build a dual sound hole uke which allows the sound holes to be located higher, therefore the lower sound hole brace is higher, in effect creating a larger "diaphragm". I know it is louder than my single hole models however I can't say conclusively that this is the reason why. Some guitar builders I know will go to extreme measures to make the backs, sides and upper bouts very stiff in order to transmit all of the resonance to the lower bout. The point is, it's the lower bout that creates most of the sound you are getting. The upper bout needs to be so stiffly braced to prevent any sound board distortion from the tension of the strings it hardly vibrates at all if any. That also explains why there is very little, if any, tonal difference between a cutaway and non-cutaway of the same size and model ukulele. Another similar example is James Hill's G-String with the "pick guards" on either side of the sound hole, he's got almost the same thing going on.
Sound aside, I think it's a hideous ukulele but I'd love to have it anyway! Nice case.

Looking at that uke makes me hungry. When I looked at the picture of it, it looks like the headstock, neck, and above the soundhole of the uke was dipped in chocolate. But that might just be my sweet-tooth talking.

MMMMmmmmm, chocoate!:shaka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfkg8wooOMY

Well the extra wood probably doesn't help but I'm not sure that it hurts much....
.....Sound aside, I think it's a hideous ukulele but I'd love to have it anyway! Nice case.

Thanks for sharing you knowledge Chuck. It makes sense now that I have read it, but I would have never thought that. You sure know you way around a ukulele.:shaka:

Building ukuleles isn't that hard if you understand a few of the fundamentals. Building a great ukulele is 50% physics, 50% skill and 50% ingenuity.

(just seeing if you were paying attention.);)

Yes, it does look like one of those shirts. In high school I made one of those stupid-ass shirts for a boyfriend. Lots of work and he didn't appreciate it.......

That ingrate SOB, I would have married you! :love:

Building ukuleles isn't that hard if you understand a few of the fundamentals. Building a great ukulele is 50% physics, 50% skill and 50% ingenuity.

(just seeing if you were paying attention.);)

Chuck,
I'm glad to see you put 150% into your ukes.
Must be kinda like football, 90% of the game is 1/2 mental???

Paul

Top Bottom