Status
Not open for further replies.

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
What’s a Kìkù ?
A definition from Lichty Guitars website:
“The word Kīkū, as referenced in the ‘olelo noeau “Niihau i ke kīkū,” means “independent”. It is often used to praise a precocious or headstrong child and so the name carries with it the connotation of rebellion and, of innovation. Kīkū inspires bold visions of modern invention fused with a reverence for sovereign, indigenous dignity. It also is a play on words in the Hawaiian language for the word “kika” is a Hawaiianization for “guitar”, but that’s where the similarity ends."

Basically a Kìkù is a something other than a ukulele or a guitar. Having 5 or 6 strings, and usually tuned with the bass string replaced an octave higher (re-entrant tuning: aDGBE ). It can be any size imaginable, since it is “independent”. It is intended as the perfect accompaniment to a ukulele, or as a solo instrument for soft music.
I built this Kìkù as a five string so that a ukulele player could easily make the transition to a larger instrument using the chord forms they are familiar with, and only adding one extra string.

This Kìkù uses a guitar scale of 25 ½” with a nut width of 1 ¾”. The body is a little smaller than a guitar and is quite comfortable for most players.

Other features of this Kìkù:
• Solid Koa body and sound board.
• Mahogany neck re-enforced with a carbon fiber rod.
• Ebony fretboard and bridge.
• Ebony edge binding.
• Radius fretboard with side dot position markers.
• High quality Schertler Classical Guitar Tuning Keys.
• 39” length, 14 ½” lower bout, 18” body, 4” depth at the tail block.
• 100% handmade.

This Kìkù has been pre-engineered to be able to be converted to a 6 string should the owner desire to do that sometime in the future.

$895 Price includes a hard shell case.
Shipping will be actual UPS or USPS charges.

Sound bite available at https://www.cripplecreekmandolins.com

Attachments

• DSCF0070.jpg
    DSCF0070.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
It sells new for $895 why would anyone pay full price for a used instrument. The included case doesn’t warrant paying full price either IMHO

It is brand new and recently complete by myself. The quote from Lichty Guitars was included as an explanation of where the Kiku got it's name.

It sells new for $895 why would anyone pay full price for a used instrument. The included case doesn’t warrant paying full price either IMHO

I built this Kìkù as a five string so that a ukulele player could easily make the transition to a larger instrument using the chord forms they are familiar with, and only adding one extra string.

It sounds to me that he is the builder and it is a new instrument that he listed here to attract the ukulele player.

As someone who has tried the guitar and come back to the ukulele, I really like the concept.

Thank you WC. I hope my add isn't misleading. I build ukuleles, mandolins, dulcimers and guitars under the name "Cripple Creek Mandolins". My website is listed in the add. I like the idea of a five string guitar, and have built several thru the years. I also like the idea of a re-entrant tuning which gives this Kiku that certain full sound that a ukulele has. If you listen to the soundclip on my website, the chords sound the same as a guitar. Most ukulele chords are played on the upper three strings, so it is pretty easy to add an extra note to the few chords that need it.

Tukanu, your web shows you’ve made many beautiful instruments. Can you tell us a bit more about where your work shop is located? Couldn’t find your name or location on your website.

Last edited:
Hi Doc,
I live and build in Colorado Springs, CO.....love the chihuahua!

Welcome to the UU Community, @Tukanu. Keep up the interesting builds!

Hey David,
Beautiful looking instrument......unfortunately , one to many strings for me. Might be interested in a uke though. I'll shoot you a PM.

Hey David,
Beautiful looking instrument......unfortunately , one to many strings for me. Might be interested in a uke though. I'll shoot you a PM.

Looking forward to it.

Am I the only one who can not get the sound sample to play? Maybe I just got too excited...sure is pretty!

Last edited:
Excellent looking and sounding instrument. Perfect for open tunings where the low E string is rarely used, and also excellent for the melody players who run out of low end real estate with four strings. Based on the sizes you mentioned, i'm guessing it's like an 0 size guitar. In this case, I think using full scale is also a good idea, so people can choose from the wide range of classical guitar strings available. Welcome to the forum and best of luck here. I suggest you can market your standard ukuleles here in the future as well.

FYI, based on the recent popularity of Guitarlele instruments here, I think you might also consider doing a 5 string baritone with 19-20" scale.

Excellent looking and sounding instrument. Perfect for open tunings where the low E string is rarely used, and also excellent for the melody players who run out of low end real estate with four strings. Based on the sizes you mentioned, i'm guessing it's like an 0 size guitar. In this case, I think using full scale is also a good idea, so people can choose from the wide range of classical guitar strings available. Welcome to the forum and best of luck here. I suggest you can market your standard ukuleles here in the future as well.

FYI, based on the recent popularity of Guitarlele instruments here, I think you might also consider doing a 5 string baritone with 19-20" scale.

I agree that a 5 string baritone with 19-20" scale would be a big hit here.

Agreed. The original concept of the Kiku is for a 20 to 22 inch scale. (See Lichty Guitar's website). I have plans for a small body nylon string concert that I plan to use for a 5 string kiku in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback. David

Hmm, I’m not knocking this instrument or Hodge’s comment, but I gotta wonder about that. Is there really an appeal for a 5 course instrument here over 6 courses, i.e. standard baritone guilele? I guess maybe for someone that really didn’t care for the close string spacing of guilele,compared to uke. For me personally, I don’t see it. 4 and 6 make sense to me, but I have a hard time making a case for 5 - and believe me, I’m all about excuses for getting another “uke” :p

Hmm, I’m not knocking this instrument or Hodge’s comment, but I gotta wonder about that. Is there really an appeal for a 5 course instrument here over 6 courses, i.e. standard baritone guilele? I guess maybe for someone that really didn’t care for the close string spacing of guilele,compared to uke. For me personally, I don’t see it. 4 and 6 make sense to me, but I have a hard time making a case for 5 - and believe me, I’m all about excuses for getting another “uke” :p

Here is one idea Jim. I learned about this open tuning when I read Keith Richard's biography; Life. In the open G tuning the low string is like a drone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnho8neGfno

Huh, thanks for that Kevin. Also the idea in the comments about open G banjo tuning which would be reentrant. I better try to forget I just heard that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom