Wood choice

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I’m toying with the idea of a new build. I’m thinking about cherry or walnut. Can anyone speak to the tonal qualities of these woods. It would probably be top, back, and sides of one of these woods. Thanks.

I recommend checking out the MyaMoe Ukulele website. They have extensive explanations about woods, their tonal properties, and even sound samples of various wood combinations. It will give you an excellent starting place that you can use to for a discussion with the builder, or even people on the forums about what you like.

www.myamoeukuleles.com/

Enjoy the exploration and process.

Last edited:
One of the best sounding tenors I own is an all cherrywood Compass Rose. It both warm and clear. But, it was also built by Jake Maclay. I’m pretty sure Jake could make cardboard sound good.

... ask your builder. Your builder has much more to do with the tonal properties than choosing between walnut and cherry.

One of the best sounding tenors I own is an all cherrywood Compass Rose. It both warm and clear. But, it was also built by Jake Maclay. I’m pretty sure Jake could make cardboard sound good.

... ask your builder. Your builder has much more to do with the tonal properties than choosing between walnut and cherry.

I will second what Doc says, I always let the builder guide me. If I want to go walnut I also what a builder that has worked with it, likes it and is pleased with the sound he gets from it. Walnut is used and recommended highly in custom build acoustic guitars so It gets my vote. I have had 5 ukes with walnut and really liked them all.

I had a Burl Walnut Compass Rose tenor. Wonderful tone...….very Spanish guitar like sound. I don't know why I sold it...……….one of many ukulele errors on my part.
As both Dave and Hodge have said, get some advice from your chosen builder/luither.

Last edited:
I recommend checking out the MyaMoe Ukulele website. They have extensive explanations about woods, their tonal properties, and even sound samples of various wood combinations. It will give you an excellent starting place that you can use to for a discussion with the builder, or even people on the forums about what you like.

www.myamoeukuleles.com/

Enjoy the exploration and process.

Yes, I've looked at that website. Good info. I wish I could get their sound samples to work. When I click on them, I just get a blank box.

The builder is local & I just recently met him. He had one of his cherry sopranos at a recent jam, so I was able to look at it & listen to it. Very nice. He builds all sizes, and some unique stuff as well. Cherry, walnut, and maple are woods he likes to work with. Reasonably priced & the opportunity to design something just the way I want it. He has several builds in progress, heading into the holidays, so maybe first of the year once I get some money together.

Just trying to get an overall sense of the woods. Seems like they are mid-range in terms of warmth vs brightness. I'll see if I can play his cherry soprano a little more at a jam.

The builder is local & I just recently met him. He had one of his cherry sopranos at a recent jam, so I was able to look at it & listen to it. Very nice. He builds all sizes, and some unique stuff as well. Cherry, walnut, and maple are woods he likes to work with. Reasonably priced & the opportunity to design something just the way I want it. He has several builds in progress, heading into the holidays, so maybe first of the year once I get some money together.

Just trying to get an overall sense of the woods. Seems like they are mid-range in terms of warmth vs brightness. I'll see if I can play his cherry soprano a little more at a jam.

What size and body shape are you thinking of having built?

Concert in standard double bout body shape. He does a variety of woods for fretboards with different end shapes, and different fretboard & side markers. He does some very nice sound hole rosettes, from simple to more elaborate. Same with headstocks. He said he went from UAS to UBS. Just does it for the enjoyment of building.

Here are some resources I used when I had the same questions:

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com - in the top navigation menu, hover over "Species & Attributes," then "The Details," and then pick a letter of the alphabet to find information about various tonewoods. Prepare to be overwhelmed.

http://www.guitarbench.com/tonewood-database/ - far fewer tonewood listings than the other link, but good info nonetheless

Here are some resources I used when I had the same questions:

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com - in the top navigation menu, hover over "Species & Attributes," then "The Details," and then pick a letter of the alphabet to find information about various tonewoods. Prepare to be overwhelmed.

http://www.guitarbench.com/tonewood-database/ - far fewer tonewood listings than the other link, but good info nonetheless

Thanks. Those were very helpful to get a general idea.

Top Bottom