Help Identifying a Vintage Uke

Reaction score
Got this gem at an auction a couple of months ago, but I've had no luck trying to figure out who made it or how old it is. It has absolutely no manufacturer's marks that I can find. I'm also not sure what its make of, I suspect it's mahogany, but I'm not good at identifying wood types.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180930_140644.jpg
    20180930_140644.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180930_140555.jpg
    20180930_140555.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180930_140516.jpg
    20180930_140516.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180930_140152.jpg
    20180930_140152.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
That's out of the Regal factory in Chicago, circa 1930. Headstock shape and that extended fingerboard are giveaway details. Some of that model were produced for the Tonk Bros. distributors and have a Tonk American decal on the headstock. Yours appears to be mahogany, with a nice bit of flame to it.

Thanks. Regal had crossed my mind but as I understand it, parts were passed around fairly fast and loose in The Good 'Ol Days of Chicago and the wood and construction seemed a bit high end for a Regal, plus the complete lack of ANY (no glue residue or discolored areas) evidence of a maker's mark.

I did forget to mention one of the more interesting features of this little gem. For some reason the inner side braces are red.

Last edited:
After doing some quick research on Tonk Bros., I cant argue that it doesn't look amazingly like a Tonk American. It looks like someone decided to make a high end version.

Last edited:
First one I've come across that didn't have ANY indications of who made it. Even if it was "handmade" you'd think they would have put something on it. Especially something this nicely put together.

The big Chicago houses (Regal, Harmony, Kay - earlier Lyon & Healy as well) were "jobbers" - they produced stuff with their own labels, but they also produced a lot for distributors and wholesalers who in turn sold to local shops. Sometimes the distributor would label it, sometimes the shop would, sometimes it wouldn't get labelled at all. A LOT of pre-WW2 instruments are unmarked. It's a foreign notion to us now since everyone wears labels on the outside of their clothes, but peruse Jake Wildwood's site (https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/p/museum.html) for a while and you'll see labels/branding didn't used to be such a huge deal. And Jake's seen so much that sometimes he can identify a builder by some really obscure detail like the bracing.

(Have you looked in the soundhole, up toward the neck block? Sometimes there's a stamp up there, though often it's just a batch number.)

I took another look in the the soundhole, but I couldn't find any numbers or stamps. I did find some dark discoloration spots that COULD possibly be adhesive residue. Maybe.

The mystery continues.

Top Bottom