Suggestion for Selling

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Doing this would make it easier for people looking for a new uke, and who isn't? : )

There is a post on the Marketplace with this title:
FS: Kala Longneck soprano with great case mint $100

You can see that it's for sale, what it is, and the price, and you get all that from the title. If a uke is listed for $10 or $3,000, I know right away that I'm not interested. I don't have to click on the link and search for the price.

When the item is sold, "SOLD" can be added to the title.

One "problem" with having the price in the title is that the title can't be changed later, so if you want to reduce price later, you'll still be stuck with the original price in the title. For the same reason, you can't add SOLD to the title, but you can close your own sale threads which has the same effect.

I guess if you wanted to change the price, you could close the original and open a new thread with the reduce price.

Marketing 101.........create interest or curiosity. Opening up the link has that nano second of Christmas time anticipation. Salesmanship 101.......once they know the price they are done with you.

I want to open up the thread, read the details, see the pictures. Price is not always the determinng factor. As Jim said you cant change the title so if you are dropping the price and it sits there for weeks nobody knows

Last edited:
It isn't going to make much difference to me, if it looks interesting I'm going to check it out, regardless of price. Clicking on it doesn't cost anything.

I'm with what Jim and Dave said, re: can't change the price in the title. Also, half the fun is looking!

I enjoy looking at the various posts in the Marketplace, even when I know there is no chance I'm going to buy the ukulele. I'll look at posts for sizes and prices of ukuleles that wouldn't work for me, but it's fun to window shop.

I might be the only one who is picky about this, but what I would find helpful is information on the nut width, because even for the "right" sized and priced ukulele, that might be a show stopper for me.

I'd also like to know if it's been in a smoke-free environment.

We all probably have our own preferences on what we'd like to see listed, and can always follow up via DM to get what we consider to be missing information, though.

It's fun to window shop, and learn about what is out there.

One "problem" with having the price in the title is that the title can't be changed later, so if you want to reduce price later, you'll still be stuck with the original price in the title. For the same reason, you can't add SOLD to the title, but you can close your own sale threads which has the same effect.

I guess if you wanted to change the price, you could close the original and open a new thread with the reduce price.

Yes, not being able to edit the title is a pain .

I do enjoy window shopping. Unfortunately, I sometimes buy!

As DownUpDave says, putting the price in the title will stop a large percentage of the viewers from ever opening the listing. And let's face it, that extra $50 that caused you to reject viewing the item, isn't always insurmountable. Especially if it's a uke you always wanted, and it looks fantastic in the photos.

If you really want it, you can ask for more detailed information.

I've always wondered why people put OBO or ONO with the price. It just telegraphs the fact that you will settle for a lower offer. (I'm a terrible haggler. If I like it enough, I'll almost always pay the asking price. Mostly because I feel that it's worth it. )

Top Bottom