Nashville/Memphis

Papa Tom

Reaction score
I just want to put in a plug for two great music cities: Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee. I just got back from visiting both, where I saw The Grand Ole Opry, The Ryman, RCA Studio B, and Sun Records, among many other cool things.

If you're into roots rock and roll, there's no experience quite like standing in Sun Studios or RCA Studio B on the exact spots where legends like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and hundreds of others recorded some of the biggest, most "important" hit records of our time. The studios are tiny but the magic is huge.

The Grand Ole Opry is cool, too, but it's the historic Ryman Theater that really speaks to you. And just about ALL the music in the Nashville honky tonks and the Memphis blues joints is a cut above what you'll hear in any other tourist city.

If you have the chance to make this trip, do it. And try to take in the National Civil Rights Museum while you're there, too.

Nashville's on my list. Want to find a decent show at Ryman to schedule it. Dollywood's on my list too. Because. Dolly.

If you go to RCA Studio B and get a knowledgeable tour guide, he/she will tell you a good story about one of Dolly's first sessions there.

Did you visit a Tuesday night meeting of the Memphis Ukulele Flash Mob at Central BBQ while you were in Memphis? We did a trip primarily to do that; but threw in the other sight seeing as well.

Also not to miss in Memphis: The Civil Rights Museum (where Dr. King was assanated), the Cabela pyramid, and Gus’ Fried Chicken...in addition to the the musical culture of Sun Records, Graceland, and Beale Street, of course.

I also found a huge cigar box for my cigar box ukulele in Memphis at one of their guitar stores

Did you visit a Tuesday night meeting of the Memphis Ukulele Flash Mob at Central BBQ while you were in Memphis?

No. We arrived in Memphis (from Nashville) on Thursday and left on Saturday morning. I did see the Central BBQ, but did not know about this ukulele flash mob. Sounds like fun.

Also not to miss in Memphis: The Civil Rights Museum (where Dr. King was assanated), the Cabela pyramid, and Gus’ Fried Chicken...in addition to the the musical culture of Sun Records, Graceland, and Beale Street, of course.

Did all of that except the fried chicken joint. I'm vegetarian, and eating in both Nashville and Memphis was a challenge!

I was kind of hoping to pick up a souvenir uke during this trip, but the only ones I saw were $45 and didn't even say anything on them. Plus, they were junk. I DID manage to save the "Grand Ole Opry Backstage" sticker from my tour and it is now affixed to my banjolele case. This should be a conversation starter in years to come.

My wife just reminded me that, not only did we "see" the Central BBQ, our group ate lunch there!

I just want to put in a plug for two great music cities: Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee. I just got back from visiting both, where I saw The Grand Ole Opry, The Ryman, RCA Studio B, and Sun Records, among many other cool things.

If you're into roots rock and roll, there's no experience quite like standing in Sun Studios or RCA Studio B on the exact spots where legends like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and hundreds of others recorded some of the biggest, most "important" hit records of our time. The studios are tiny but the magic is huge.

The Grand Ole Opry is cool, too, but it's the historic Ryman Theater that really speaks to you. And just about ALL the music in the Nashville honky tonks and the Memphis blues joints is a cut above what you'll hear in any other tourist city.

If you have the chance to make this trip, do it. And try to take in the National Civil Rights Museum while you're there, too.

I've lived in Nashville for 30 years and I concur. We have tried to keep it a secret but now it is growing so fast we can't hide it anymore. ;)

I've lived in Nashville for 30 years and I concur. We have tried to keep it a secret but now it is growing so fast we can't hide it anymore. ;)

It baffles me that "they" are building up the city as a tourist attraction based on all the historical musical sites, yet they can't seem to tear down those sites fast enough to build new hotels.

I got to play the open mic at the Bluebird Café on two occasions. It was a total blast.

Last edited:
I think you all are talking me into going for my 60th birthday. Little Big Town at the Ryman that night. Now I'll just have to check the airbnbs

One of my favorite places in Memphis was the "Fake Elvis Museum". A place where Elvis impersonators are enshrined. And yes, you can have one officiate your wedding there.

Plus the Peabody hotel. Has the marching ducks. And the most fabulous Sunday brunch buffet you can possibly imagine. (At least it was 20 years ago.)

We're going to Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee... (repeat)

Top Bottom