Honu Traditional Tenor or Pono Mango Tenor?

Apfelkuch3n

Reaction score
Aloha,

which one would you guys buy?
A solid Koa Honu Traditional Tenor or a solid Mango Pono Tenor?

Does anyone have one of these?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Lou

I just picked up a Honu about a week ago, before that I was playing on a Pono. They are both great choices, I like the Honu better because the strings are not as close to the edge of the fret board compared to Pono, I am also pleased with the sound & sustain the Honu has.

If given the choice I always prefer Koa over Mango, more traditional wood for 'ukulele.

for a more bright, lively, island sound go with the honu - for a more deep warm mellow sound go with the pono

Solid mango has a mid-range tone. I have the Pono mango and reviewed on my site. It's beautiful but not as bright as other woods. I replaced the saddle with a Tusq to give it a bit more punch.

I think I'll buy a Honu because I like the traditional sound more and I think I like the look of the koa more. It would be great if you guys could make some pictures of your Honus :'D

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Lou

i would go for the honu myself

Why? Please give me some reasons :)

What's more important to you? Sound or looks?

Mh, quite hard to answer. I like how the koa and the mango looks. But in the first place the sound is more important to me. Then there is the look, but if the Uke is sounding awesome the looks aren't that important.

... I'm repeating myself :eek:

Mh, quite hard to answer. I like how the koa and the mango looks. But in the first place the sound is more important to me. Then there is the look, but if the Uke is sounding awesome the looks aren't that important.

... I'm repeating myself :eek:
In that case, I would go with the Honu.

Aloha,

which one would you guys buy?
A solid Koa Honu Traditional Tenor or a solid Mango Pono Tenor?

Does anyone have one of these?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Lou

I've never played a Honu but I'd buy that Pono mang tenor in a heartbeat if I had the dough.

Get the one with the pickup and I will live vicariously through you.

Top Bottom