String change for Kamaka soprano

Astein2006

Reaction score
Hey All. I have a 2015 Kamaka soprano. Today I was playing it and was suddenly hit with the need to change the strings, possibly to something different than what is on there now.. It has the original string set from Kamaka. I have two extra sets that they use for it specifically but I was looking for suggestions from Kamaka soprano owners. What strings do you use, like best and why?

I put on a set of the Kamaka blacklines. It gave it that old Kamaka vintage look and sound I have a White label soprano, a few of the other string sets wouldn't fit in the string slots. too heavy.

I put worths browns on the Kamaka soprano in 2008(?) and still use them.
Black nylon is good to get the traditional sound of a Kamaka soprano. But, I like the fluorocarbon strings on it.

How do the worth browns compare sound wise to the black strings Kamaka uses?

I put on a set of the Kamaka blacklines. It gave it that old Kamaka vintage look and sound I have a White label soprano, a few of the other string sets wouldn't fit in the string slots. too heavy.

The Kamaka blacklines, aren't those the stock strings Kamaka uses? That is what I have on there right now and was looking for an alternative.

My favs for my Kamaka soprano are Worth Clears.

The Blackline may be original Astein. I bought a set of Martin strings and found they wouldn't fit in the slots on the saddle so went with them instead. Mine is a White Label K.

The Blackline may be original Astein. I bought a set of Martin strings and found they wouldn't fit in the slots on the saddle so went with them instead. Mine is a White Label K.

Yes the original strings I have are black. Mine is a 2015, so its pretty new. So they must be the backlines. I actually just had my luthier put on Living Water strings. I had a set in my drawer and people say good things about them. So we will see when I pick it up. So what actual brand do you use on yours?

Yes the original strings I have are black. Mine is a 2015, so its pretty new. So they must be the backlines. I actually just had my luthier put on Living Water strings. I had a set in my drawer and people say good things about them. So we will see when I pick it up. So what actual brand do you use on yours?

The orginal black strings that Kamaka uses are a nylon string made for them by D'Addario. Blackline by Freemont are florocarbon. If you like the sound stick with nylon. A whole new world will open up if you want to experiment with florocarbon

The Living Water strings are florocarbon. I'm excited to try them. I've had the stock Kamaka strings for 3 years now and I'm kind of bored with the sound. How many different sets of florocarbons did you try before you settled on Fremont Backlines?

Do you use them on a Kamaka standard?

I use them on my HP-1 pineapple and HF-1L longneck soprano.

I haven't had a Kamaka standard in a long while, but back when I had one, I liked Aquila concert Nylguts on it even though it was a soprano. There were a lot fewer string choices back then!

I just changed the strings on an all koa uke, the strings were six years old. Worth brown for worth browns. A big improvement as expected. I have had a few years of just fitting fluorocarbon to koa and nylon to mahogany.
Black nylon compared to fluorocarbon is something to try for yourself, apart from the sound there is the feel. I suggest buying a packet of each. Fit the black nylon and try to wear them out in one - three months, maybe keep a diary or score sheet to look at. Do the same for the fluorocarbons.

I finally had them changed over from black nylon to Living Water fluorocarbon and what a difference. Maybe because they are new but also the uke is brighter and more lively. Although at first I liked the original stock Kamaka strings, I grew tired of the really really warm sound of them. They began to sound dull and uninspired. At least to me. The feel and sound of the Living Waters is great. Cant wait to see what they sound like when completely broken in. I also have some Worth clears to try at some point. How are worth browns different from the clear versions?

I use them on my HP-1 pineapple and HF-1L longneck soprano.

I haven't had a Kamaka standard in a long while, but back when I had one, I liked Aquila concert Nylguts on it even though it was a soprano. There were a lot fewer string choices back then!

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill have to add them to my list. I just changed over today to Living Water strings. So far I love the change to fluorocarbon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill have to add them to my list. I just changed over today to Living Water strings. So far I love the change to fluorocarbon.

I've tried a number of dfferent fluorocarbons on my Kamakas, but haven't gotten around to Living Waters yet. Some I didn't care for at all (Oasis, Worth), some I liked a lot more (Fremont, Martin, and now D'Addario), but in general I found Aquila Nylgut concert strings to give the most volume for that particular uke. For some reason, my Kamaka standard had a bit less projection than any of my others. But for my others, my preference has always been fluorocarbons over Nylguts.

My only soprano is a Kamaka HF1-D. I also switched the stock strings to Living Waters, which were (and are) a vast improvement.

Top Bottom