8-string strummers, I would like your input

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
I am currently borrowing an 8-string concert for the weekend.

My interest is in getting the feel of this set up and to see if it could
be a good song-leading instrument.

I am requesting any input from those of you who regularly play 8-string
ukes.

What is it about an 8-string that appeals to you?

If you had been playing a 4 or 6-string uke, what made you make the
switch to the 8-string?

Do you play the 8-string all the time, or only for certain kinds of songs?

...and whatever other comments and suggestions you may what to
share.

thanks,

keep uke'in',

A few years ago I bought a very inexpensive 8-string just as a novelty. After giving it a decent setup and adding a coupke accessiries, it's in the keeper category. It gets a lot of playing time because I live the sound - sort of like listening to a duet. Have tried several tunings on it, but cCgGDDAA has been on it for quite a while now. It's neat for strumming and picking.

I like it for folk music, but it can be fun with some rock. Hotel California really sounds cool on it.

I am currently borrowing an 8-string concert for the weekend.

My interest is in getting the feel of this set up and to see if it could
be a good song-leading instrument.

I am requesting any input from those of you who regularly play 8-string
ukes.

What is it about an 8-string that appeals to you?

If you had been playing a 4 or 6-string uke, what made you make the
switch to the 8-string?

Do you play the 8-string all the time, or only for certain kinds of songs?

...and whatever other comments and suggestions you may what to
share.

thanks,

keep uke'in',

Uncle Rod, I have had the Pono concert taropatch for a few months now and love it. I found I preferred the reentrant tuning also. It's loud and has a great chime. Only issue is it is my first with friction tuners and breaking in the strings is a pain in the neck.

I bought an OU28T. More because it was on sale, and I didn't have one. Fun yo play around with. Nice uke for the $$

What about it appeals to you? I love the more complex sound it puts out. I play it with Island style songs, Tin pan Alley, bluegrass, whatever. Mostly play my Kanile'a, but my Ohana CK-35-8 is a keeper for sure.

PS, I have it strung Taropatch style, with all matched high G. It came with an octave Low G, but I immediately changed strings.

I have a Myrtle/Spruce 8-string custom tenor by Mike Periera, I bought it second hand. It's about 12 years old. It's not the loudest 8-string I've ever heard. My friend's Kala is louder. But I really like the more complex sound. I have it strung with an 8-string set of Living Waters fluorocarbon gGcCeeaa. It rings beautifully. I am not an accomplished player, so take this for what it's worth.

I strum on it about once a week. I used it recently for open mike nite at my uke club and played it on "One Kind Favor" ("aka: See That My Grave Is Kept Clean") and it sounded great! Four of us played and sang. 1 Low-G tenor, 1 high-g tenor, the 8-string tenor and a mandolin. The 8-string really paired well with the mandolin. You could virtually "hear the church bells tone" as I strummed it.

I practice and play it to remain familiar with the feel and because I love the sound. But I only use it in public for a particular song. I don't think it will ever be my go-to daily player. But who knows?

A few years ago I bought a very inexpensive 8-string just as a novelty. After giving it a decent setup and adding a coupke accessiries, it's in the keeper category. It gets a lot of playing time because I live the sound - sort of like listening to a duet. Have tried several tunings on it, but cCgGDDAA has been on it for quite a while now. It's neat for strumming and picking.

I like it for folk music, but it can be fun with some rock. Hotel California really sounds cool on it.

I love the mandolin family of instruments, but much prefer the feel and tone of nylon type strings. I have been wanting to pick up a taropatch and tune it in fifths, doubling CGDA (mandola tuning). I like to think it would have a nice timbre to it that I would appreciate very much.

I have a Baton Rouge 8 string and 6 string. I bought the six string first and for straight strumming, I like the 6 string. The gcCeaA tuning really rings for me. Put a capo on the second fret to give, in effect, ADF#B tuning and it sings.

I got the 8 string because I thought with the extra strings, I'd have a Hi/Lo G which would work better for finger picking. After getting it I restrung it gGCCEEAA and it did work quite well finger picked and strummed. After trying a friends Kala 8 string baritone, I retuned ot DGBE with just the D string in octaves and I'm happy with that arrangement. The 8 string is the one I play out and if I want GCEA I can put a capo on the 5th fret.

I played an 8 string baritone and I couldn't put it down.

Kala 8 String Baritone KA-ABP8-CTG

I liked fingerpicking on it and it was certainly nice for just playing chords. The particular instrument I played had some intonation issues so I will buy it from a place where I know it will be set up properly.

This is an instrument that I would not use on every song but would play on certain songs for variety. In my opinion, it would be good for leading songs.

I love the mandolin family of instruments, but much prefer the feel and tone of nylon type strings. I have been wanting to pick up a taropatch and tune it in fifths, doubling CGDA (mandola tuning). I like to think it would have a nice timbre to it that I would appreciate very much.

I tried the double-CGDA and it does sound good. The cCgG on the top 4 was just to try something different and it does add to the overall sound. For the double-CGDA the Aquila 31U string set works perfectly.

Thanks everyone!

I'm glad you all enjoy your 8-strings.

so far for me, I think I will pass on the 8-stringer. I guess I'm so used to just 4 strings, that
the 8-string sounds a bit much/muffed, etc to my aging ears :(

I'm glad I was able to spend quality time with one, but it just confirmed that I'm a 4-string
player... for now.

Now I need to try 5 and 6-strings! :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom