String question

drubin

Reaction score
Does anyone make tenor strings with a low G that is still nylon, not wound?

Worth CT-LG or CT-LGEX should do the trick. Both are LowG with no wound strings. The EX has a harder 4th(G) string. These would be medium tension, so they will feel a little softer than the Aquilas you're used to. These are what I have been using and I really like them.

They also have a harder set (change the CT to CH), which you might prefer if you do lots of fingerpicking. These are a little harder/louder than the CT's above.

Check out worthstrings.com if you really want to get confused -- they've got so many variations available, their numbering can be a little hard to stay on top of.

Worth strings are pretty easy to find from sellers online, and of course there's musicguyic on his ebay store. Even if he does not have any currently listed, just call or email him, he's likely got them and he ships fast and for a great price.

Oh, I almost forgot -- each package from Worth contains double-length strings, so each package has 2 sets of strings.

Have fun!

I just got some Worth Concert strings with the un-wound low G and although it sounds good it's just a tad bit floppy. Sometimes when I hurridly push it, it goes over the edge.... Maybe the Tenor G string is tighter, I don't know. anyway, look around some more for a tighter G string if you can.

uumember, just curious, which LowG set do you have? Worth makes several sets for concert/lowG. I see they even have sets with a 'hard' G and an 'extra-hard' G. You might try one of those if you have not already.

Have fun!

like other people said the unwound low g doesn't sound that great.....
do the wound strings hurt your fingers or something?

If you don't like the brightness of Worth clears, try the Worth browns (which are black-ish). The browns are not as bright as the clears.

I thought that Hilo made an unwound Low-G set but I just checked this morning and they don't. :(

yeah Hilo don't make those.

uumember, just curious, which LowG set do you have? Worth makes several sets for concert/lowG. I see they even have sets with a 'hard' G and an 'extra-hard' G. You might try one of those if you have not already.

Uh....I have the black or dark brown set with the low G. Does Worth make a dark string with more tension, harder to push off the side of the neck? Thanks.

Someone asked if Worth strings hurt your fingers. Not at all, they're easy on the fingers, the low G brown string is just too floppy.

Last edited:
I am shopping around and checked out a couple of tenors and concerts today at a local music store. The concerts were sooo much easier to play, is there a reason for that or is it just the strings?

tenor low g plain strings

I believe D'Addario J71 tenor strings are low G clear strings with no wound strings.

Top Bottom