PDA

View Full Version : Parallel builds

tonyturley
10-09-2018, 06:49 AM
I'm finally to the stage where I can glue the bridge on my Stew Mac tenor uke. While I've been waiting for the Tung Oil to cure, I've started wood preparation on a pair of new instruments, a Kasha tenor uke based on Hana Lima 'Ia plans, and a Kasha-braced nylon tenor guitar, 23" scale, based on Scott Antes plans. The uke will be Black Walnut and Redwood, and the tenor guitar will be Indian Rosewood and Redwood. Yesterday morning I spent much of the morning thickness sanding tonewood. I need to invest in a good dust collecting system - my poor shop vac just couldn't keep up. Here are a couple of progress pics.

sequoia
10-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Nice looking wood. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

tonyturley
10-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Nice looking wood. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.Thanks. Gonna be a long road, but I'm going to take my time and enjoy it. Slow but steady progress.

tonyturley
04-08-2019, 03:07 PM
I guess it's been a while since I posted here. The attached image shows the first of many braces being glued to the Redwood top of my Kasha tenor uke. From the sound samples I've heard, the Redwood and Black Walnut I'm using should sound nice. I know Brian Griffin has been making some really nice Kasha ukes, and reading his blog inspired my own Kasha journey.

I decided to use a ready-made rough cut neck for the uke, but in the background you can see the bound fretboard and partially carved neck for my tenor guitar project. Lots of shop fun these days. Since my OP in this thread I've finished the Stew Mac build, and added a pear-shaped baritone uke to the list of projects. For that project I purchased a neck and fretboard from Mainland Ukes.(not shown)

sequoia
04-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Looks like an interesting project. I've never done an uke with Kasha bracing but thought about it... Nice looking slotted headstock neck for a ready-made. Where did you buy it?

tonyturley
04-09-2019, 01:45 AM
I bought it through Amazon. It needs quite a bit of sanding, but it still saved me a lot of cutting and carving.

Pete Howlett
04-09-2019, 03:26 AM
Kasha - the word that divides us. I have revised my bracing system and it works well in off-set sound hole designs, not so good standard. And it's not Kasha...

tonyturley
04-10-2019, 06:06 AM
Kasha - the word that divides us. I have revised my bracing system and it works well in off-set sound hole designs, not so good standard. And it's not Kasha...I'm inexperienced at building stringed instruments, despite my upcoming retirement. I've read comments both for and against the Kasha setup, but Brian is sold on the method. I just wanted to try it at least once. I look at it just as I view the V bracing in the tenor guitar I'm also building. An experiment. I doubt I'll ever build enough stringed instruments to develop any real expertise in the matter.

tonyturley
04-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Progress over the past few days. Sound hole patch and tone bars glued down on the top, and one of the sides bent this evening and clamped tightly into the mold for a few days. My pipe setup is crude but effective.

tonyturley
05-28-2019, 03:50 PM
It's been a while since I posted any progress. The tenor uke and tenor guitar are now both closed. The tops are already trimmed flush, and the backs will be next, then the binding process, Curly Maple in my case. Looking like musical instruments now, but there's still a lot more work to go.

tonyturley
06-08-2019, 10:27 AM
A bit more progress. Bindings mostly glued and scraped, necks temporarily in place to get a first glimpse of the final instruments.

Cornerstone
06-08-2019, 03:09 PM
great looking wood. Looking forward to seeing them finished!

MustGuitars
06-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Congratulations on your progress! And thank you for sharing. You do great work and love the bench!

tonyturley
06-16-2019, 04:13 AM
Thanks Peter and Mike.