Kala Elite Flourocarbon Strings opinions

FuzzeeSock

Reaction score
Hi all
can't seem to find particular threads about the Kala Elite Flourocarbon strings only, so I'll make one here just for this.

I know strings are subjective. I myself am a string changing junkie.
I've tried Living Waters, D'Addarios, Worths, Oasis, Fremonts, AnueNue, Martins, etc.

What are your opinions on the Kala flourocarbons in general?
Are they super bright?

My conclusions with the carbons is that the Fremont Blacks have the softest tension of them all, smoothest playabilty, and some of the best sounding, with then Living Waters, Oasis, D'addarios. I love the Worths but they do feel hard to me tension wise. The ANueNue Blackwaters are nice but they are high tension with a noticeable twangy sound on most of my tenors. I have 6 tenors of different woods, so i've tried them on all of them generally reaching almost the same conclusion.

anyway, I have not tried the Kalas yet.

thoughts?

I'm also referring to the ALL flourocarbon set only, not the ones with wounds.

Last edited:
Sorry no one has answered your question so I thought I would bump it to the top. I have tried most strings out there and your descriptions are very accurate on the ones you have listed and should be helpful to others. I have not tried these Kala Elite Florocarbon strings so cannot offer any observations.

I have a Kala elite tenor, but strung with low g. I have not had enough experience with other mfg's strings to give a detailed analysis for you. I find them bright, but not twangy. I would say they have a medium amount of tension. I find them comfortable to play, but will definitely experiment with other strings in the near future.
If there is maybe one minor niggle I have, and that is with the C string. It's just maybe a bit too thick at .040" for my liking. It sometimes comes across a bit dull, so I'm going to try a wound C in it's place. I don't believe the high g set comes with this string though.

Thanks all for replying, I hope more people can chime in. The brands I listed, looks like most people test those and i just don't see people talking about the Kala carbons much if at all, unless they buy the kala elite ukes that come with them installed. I've also seen ads for the Luthier Super Carbons and those are advertised to be sounding Rich and Clear. That to me, is still very subjective because "Rich" means different things to everyone. To me, "Rich" means it has a lot of dimension, with a frequency range that keeps ringing after that initial strum or pluck, and not sounding dead, dull, or flat. So if i were to visualize what this looks like as a graphic image, I would see circles of extra sustaining tones expanding outward from a more dense focused dot that radiates out like a WiFi signal. The more dense the dot is, that would be the initial tone and sound clarity while the outward radiating circles would be the nice lush sustain. Haha, now over geeking out over this too much.

I've just ordered some Worth Brown Lights to see if the tensions are indeed more comfortable to play. According to some initial reviews on StringsByMail, people say they do make a difference.

but without going off topic, yeah I'm still eager to hear from others who have played the Kala carbons.

thanks all,

Thanks all for replying, I hope more people can chime in. The brands I listed, looks like most people test those and i just don't see people talking about the Kala carbons much if at all, unless they buy the kala elite ukes that come with them installed. I've also seen ads for the Luthier Super Carbons and those are advertised to be sounding Rich and Clear. That to me, is still very subjective because "Rich" means different things to everyone. To me, "Rich" means it has a lot of dimension, with a frequency range that keeps ringing after that initial strum or pluck, and not sounding dead, dull, or flat. So if i were to visualize what this looks like as a graphic image, I would see circles of extra sustaining tones expanding outward from a more dense focused dot that radiates out like a WiFi signal. The more dense the dot is, that would be the initial tone and sound clarity while the outward radiating circles would be the nice lush sustain. Haha, now over geeking out over this too much.

I've just ordered some Worth Brown Lights to see if the tensions are indeed more comfortable to play. According to some initial reviews on StringsByMail, people say they do make a difference.

but without going off topic, yeah I'm still eager to hear from others who have played the Kala carbons.

thanks all,

Just a thought........you order them, try them and then you can tell us. I am currently sitting on about 30 sets of strings, different brands and sizes so I have my hands full at the moment.;)

yeah Will do, that seems to be the only way! String testing is getting expensive : )

thanks all,

DISCLAIMER: I'm a rank beginner on an entry level instrument...that being said, I just installed some Worth Browns on my Kala tenor. I like them. Softer on my fingers, the strings 'ring' very clear, but not overly twangy or loud. I previously tried fluoros from Martin and d'Addoria(sp). I liked the Martin's, didn't like the d'Addorias at all-tension was too high and the strings were felt hard under my fingers.

Top Bottom