Heart Strings Kamaka documentary airing on PBS this Friday, 5/22

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
For those of you in the SoCal area, KOCE Channel 50 (PBS on DirectTV - don't know what it is for cable or dish network) will be airing the Heart Strings documentary on Kamaka Ukulele this Friday 5/22 at 11:30pm.

I'm a Kanile'a person, not a Kamaka, but I figured you Kamaka Klub members might be interested in checking it out, I know that I'm definitely going to DVR it!

You can find out when it airs in your area at this website,
http://www.pbs.org/heartstrings/airdates.html

Coffee, I am in St. Louis but it is not on PBS? Is it on a different channel here?

Coffee, I am in St. Louis but it is not on PBS? Is it on a different channel here?

Sorry, it is on the 3rd digital channel, go to channel 9-3. It will be on next at 11:30 tonight. Where in St. Louis are you? CoffeeJunkee and I have been looking for ukers in this area.

What da hay, they making us Hawaiians wait until May 28th. :mad:
They should show it FIRST here IMMHO. :eek:ld:

I saw it already. It was very interesting. I really didn't know much about Kamaka before unfortunately, so I learned a lot.

They covered the fact about the deaf people who work on the 'ukuleles. I had heard rumors, but I wasn't sure if it was true - it is. There are also short interviews with Kamaka artists including Gordon Mark, Brian Tolentino, and the man himself: Jake Shimabukuro. Fred and Sam Kamaka are featured as well.

But the best part for me was that the narrator actually said 'ukulele right! Thank you PBS.

What da hay, they making us Hawaiians wait until May 28th. :mad:
They should show it FIRST here IMMHO. :eek:ld:

LOL, that's because they aired it here several times already, starting a few months ago. And I always found out after they aired it. Boo on me. Hopefully I remember to catch it this time and am not out of the house when it airs. :D

Does anyone know if this is available for download or purchase anywhere? Or even viewable on the Internet anywhere? Now that I'm on the Kamaka bandwagon, I would really like the chance to see it again and/or buy or download it.

I watched this last night in St. Louis and it was great, great history and lots of great footage of the the factory. Makes you want a Kamaka!

someone put it on youtube!! lol. I get no good tv channels here. Comcast hates people in PA i guess. :/

I watched this video many times, it is played on Hawaiian Airlines when to fly from Hawaii to the Mainland (continental U.S. for those that pronounce yoo-koo-lay-lay):)

Top Bottom