Del Rey's Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Last weekend, Del Rey gave a workshop using a thin uke. A friend is looking for one like it. She said Del used the term "backpacker," and said she wished she had gotten one with a compass. The picture below seems to look like what she played.

Any ideas?

Del Rey Uke.jpg

I may have posted this question already. If, so, sorry for the duplication.

It's a thinline/slimline uke, some people call them back packers or travel ukes - Kala make some, & I have a Baton Rouge concert in solid spruce with a MiSi pickup in it. :)

Yes, a Thinline or Travel uke. Surprising how much projection they have. I recently bought a Lanikai FB-CETT Tenor Thinline Figured Bocote cutaway with preamp/pickup for $360. I really like it a lot, take it to a Sunday in the park acoustic play-along.

Lanikai Thinline Bocote.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Last weekend, Del Rey gave a workshop using a thin uke. A friend is looking for one like it. She said Del used the term "backpacker," and said she wished she had gotten one with a compass.

I may have posted this question already. If, so, sorry for the duplication.

I’ve found both this and the parallel thread interesting. As far as I know we settled on a Kala Soprano Travel Uke with solid spruce top and arched back, and yes they did used to come with inbuilt compasses in the headstock. The current version is about $200 on Amazon, so not cheap but far from expensive (as Uke prices go).
(Edit. This old Amazon listing shows what the original looked like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kala-Thinline-Compass-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B00F35RQW2)

If Del would like a compass in her headstock then, I suspect, a word from her to Kala will see the job done. Short of that similar compasses cost next to nothing really (ordered some from China today) and no doubt there’s quite a few capable people who would be happy to fit one for her for free.

Last edited:
It's a Kala travel soprano. I happen to know who gave it to her. They used to put a compass on some of them. I have one. They are fun. Not something I would want to play for too long but they are loud and sound great. I take it with me when I want to sneak a ukulele into a gathering without making a huge statement that a Kumbaya moment might be loomng.

If you look at the video I mentioned in the workshop part of Del's site, its obviously a Kala travel uke without the compass.
If you type "Kala travel "compass"" into the google search engine and look at images, you will find a picture of a travel compass. The first one I looked at was on the Sweetwater site marked as "No Longer Available" .

Yes, "No Longer Available" is the standard response now, but inserting a compass would be very easy.

Top Bottom