PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO- Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-15-2018, 05:12 AM
Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Q2zQ-tIJc&t=15s

Timbuck
10-15-2018, 05:43 AM
Nice to see the the middle hole is now in the middle Beau..The early ones didn't look quite right did they.:)

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Nice to see the the middle hole is now in the middle Beau..The early ones didn't look quite right did they.:)

Yep- the early rubner tuners had the middle hole, well, not in the middle :) AND the posts were 33mm apart instead of the industry standard of 35mm. They changed that really quick and they are all 35mm now.

Pete Howlett
10-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! If you file the 'tabs' off the bracket will eventually work lose. You must finish the job by peining the tab with a centre punch. This has happened to me with two sets of tuners failing....

tparse
10-18-2018, 09:56 PM
I was wondering about that as I watched the video. It looks like a rivet style connection so filing off the end of the rivet could weaken the joint. I have never used these tuners but I would think about just making a relief in the side of the headstock with a burr to accommodate the protrusion.

Timbuck
10-18-2018, 10:34 PM
If I was in charge of assembling these tuners at the factory..I would be looking for another way of fixing these lugs so that the joints were flush..Maybe a countersunk rivet method involving a slightly thicker side plate..Or even silver soldered and flushed...or spot welding could work...or maybe a custom made thin black plastic gasket fitted under the plate would do the job and look nice as well... But I'm retired now so it's not my problem :old:

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-19-2018, 04:46 AM
I'm no metal worker, but filing off the excess seems to not damage the strength.- we shall see.

I used to cut into the finish /wood to make room for the Rubner lugs, but not anymore.

By "peining the tab with a centre punch"- you mean flaring out the lug a bit?

These Schaller lugs look like a good idea. 112872

Pete Howlett
10-20-2018, 11:10 AM
I've had ukes back witj these brackets hanging off. Beau - listen to me! Dont do this. You are destroying a mwchanical joint. If you do this the fix is to hard centre punch the lug to ensure it is spreading into the mortice...