Straight off the bench Pete Howlett Koa Tenor

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
This is a 'parallel' build tenor that I made last week in tandem with my student (he has one similar at a cost of £1100 for five and one half days one-to-one tuition). It is in AAA koa that displays a 'natural' sunburst colour against the backdrop of a regular curly figure. Using a new back taper and radius of 8' and with lighter tone bars, this simple, elegant, understated tenor sings like a nightingale with the sustain of a Steinway. It is numbered 893, is finished in a semi matt nitrocellulose and has a passive, under-the-saddle pickup. Open backed quality nickle-plated tuners and a set of Worth strings is going to set you back £1495. British built and set up with a smooth action, at this price and hand built by me, it will give all imported K brands a run for their money!

892 Front.jpg

892 Back.jpg

892 End.jpg

892 Closeup.jpg

I am struggling to attach files. If you need more images please contact me.

Last edited:
Goodness, that is so beautiful! And one can easily imagine it would be hard to put it down once you pick it up!

Stunningly beautiful. I have a Pete Howlett boat paddle soprano and can attest to the quality of his work.

Stunningly beautiful. I have a Pete Howlett boat paddle soprano and can attest to the quality of his work.

Thats pretty much the instrument i want. I think Pete is making some soon.

How does yours sound??

I have a tenor marmite cherry wood and its a fantastic instrument, wish I could afford this one

I have a tenor marmite cherry wood and its a fantastic instrument, wish I could afford this one

Wow, are those still in production?

Top Bottom