Your most fun gigs?

buddhuu

Super Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
On 7th June my band is playing at an open farm event, where a local farm is opening up for visitors and having attractions and entertainment. It's an afternoon gig.

The guy organising it has described the setting in which we'll be playing. It's an 80ft shed with a 40ft trailer as the stage. There will be straw bales for the audience to sit on, and a space for dancing if they get... relaxed enough!

I am so looking forward to this. It could be hilarious. As it's a rural kind of thing we are thinking about emphasising the mock-hillbilly vibe that is part of the band's persona. Make sure we do a few tongue in cheek things appropriate to the setting. Certainly "Duelling Banjos", and maybe The Worzels "I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester". The latter is a reference likely to be meaningless to everyone except UK UUers over 30 years of age.

Would anyone care to share a tale of their most fun gig to date?

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry none of you are having any fun. :p

How do you cope with it?

When I was in college, I played in this band. We weren't serious at all, but we would get a gig together and rent out a room in a local rec center and get enough people to come that we'd pay off the room rental and have enough left over for a sandwich.

One time I cut my finger on a string on a borrowed sea foam green Fender bass and bled all over it and my pants... but I kept going... because we were punk rock, and that's how we rolled.

[...]
One time I cut my finger on a the strings of a borrowed sea foam green Fender bass and bled all over it and my pants [...]

Oh yeah. The fun!

Oy vey. Kind of sorry I asked. Didn't mean to bring back painful memories. :p

well... i have only had a few "gigs" but i do have one that is my fav. i have played this bookstore a few times here in town.. it is small.. and they move all of their books out of the way... they turn the lights down low.. and it is a BYOB event. i have seen some amazing people at this event! and i have played it a time or two! there are a few videos on my site of the place of which i speak..

i am moving out west.. i will miss KC and the bookstore..

i also like playing my little open mic.. that is fun also!

Oh yeah. The fun!

Oy vey. Kind of sorry I asked. Didn't mean to bring back painful memories. :p

But it was pretty cool, you've got to admit!

...Maybe it was only cool if you were there. And 19 years old. But it worked for me.

Last summer we did a kind of outdoor jam for the Hawaiian Style Grill here in Sac. That was a lot of fun. There was hula dancers from a couple of Halaus, 2 bands including our HSG Kanikapila Band and and a big jam session with anyone who wanted to jam. We didn't want to stop because we had so much fun. This year we're having another one and it's going to be bigger. More bands, 3 halaus are dancing and an open mic session. It's on June 13th here in Sacramento. Join us if you can. Hopefully the Dominator will be there.:shaka:

well... i have only had a few "gigs" but i do have one that is my fav. i have played this bookstore a few times here in town.. it is small.. and they move all of their books out of the way... they turn the lights down low.. and it is a BYOB event. i have seen some amazing people at this event! and i have played it a time or two! there are a few videos on my site of the place of which i speak..[...]

That sounds like my kind of gig. Shame you have to leave it :(

Last summer we did a kind of outdoor jam for the Hawaiian Style Grill here in Sac. That was a lot of fun. There was hula dancers from a couple of Halaus, 2 bands including our HSG Kanikapila Band and and a big jam session with anyone who wanted to jam. We didn't want to stop because we had so much fun. This year we're having another one and it's going to be bigger. More bands, 3 halaus are dancing and an open mic session. It's on June 13th here in Sacramento. Join us if you can. Hopefully the Dominator will be there.:shaka:

Why do I have to live so far from all this stuff? I love where I live, but it's faaaaar from most of what happens. :(

Top Bottom