Soprano strings: Worth vs Martin

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I had a set of Martin M600 on a mahogany soprano, and wanted to try Worth Browns, so I strung her up. The Worth BM sound is a bit mellower to me, and seems to have slightly less volume. But, something also felt different. I checked the string gauges: the Worth G was 1.8% thicker, Worth E was 3.6% thicker, Worth A was 7.3% thicker...but the Martin C string was 16.8% thicker! I guess that's what felt so different to me, that much fatter C string in the Martin set, which I think I like better, and will be going back to on this uke. Worth Clear and Brown both have same gauges.

Not sure if tension is different: Martin says tension is 35.4; the Worth just says Medium.

BTW, I noticed that when I have string breakage, it always seems to be the A string, so I grabbed a roll of Seaguar blue label flouro fishing line, works perfect as an A string. Diameter is .020", M600 is .0191 and Worth is .0205. With this roll, I'm set for life!

Sorry for getting all string OCD on ya! :eek:

Last edited:
I have often felt that the Martin C is too thick. To my ear, it sometimes sounds a little dead or thuddy and out of balance with the other strings. I often like the Livings Waters or Worth, which seem to be similar diameter.

I guess we all have different preferences or certainly they may fit certain instruments. Whatever works.

Top Bottom