Playing ukulele made me realize the meaning of songs...

Denno

Reaction score
Untill now I mostly just listen to the music. But since I started playing the ukulele I started to take notice to the lyrics to. You have to if you want to learn the song right?

So a new world opened up and I now see the meaning of songs better. Anyone else feel this way?

Maybe,, kinda

In my case it helped me to understand the lyrics better. English isn't my first language (alas...) but learning all the lyrics to my favorite songs helps me to understand everything better...

I think its the fact that you have to really learn the song very thoroughly, and with that comes a better realization of the meaning. Ukulele has done this for also btw ;]

I kind of feel that way.
When playing my other instruments, I'm a lot more conscious of playing the INSTRUMENT. When playing ukulele, I am more focused on playing the SONG, and that's a nice thing.

Depends on the song. I play a lot of tunes from the 20s-40s and many of them were cranked out by songwriting teams looking for a popular hit, not passionate artists. Even some of the greats, like Fats Waller, wrote songs where the lyrics were catchy but when studied alone, were awful as poetry.

I play pop and folk songs from the early 60s-mid 70s, too. And while there are some truly incredible songs - by people like Bob Dylan, the Beatles, James Taylor, Randy Newman, Fred Neil and others - they all produced fluff, too. Pop, catchy fluff at times, but fluff nonetheless.

A good song is a gestalt. It works as a whole, not in pieces that can be removed or dissected. American Pie and Where Do You Go To My Lovely are good examples - start to analyze the lyrics and you'll find them confusing and opaque. But as songs - they're wonderful. A lot of Bob Dylan's music is like that, too.

It really does depend on the song since it is a marriage of words and music. Not everything is deep.

I mean, "Be Bop A-lula She's my baby, Be Bop A-lulu I don't mean maybe..." is a great song, but kind of dumb lyrics. And sometimes words are just a rhythmic device ("It's the End of the World as We Know It (& I Feel Fine)")

And then you have people like Cole Porter or Lorenz Hart who could twist the language into all kinds of lyric pretzels.

It's the words that will usually draw me into a song but then I've always been a lyric kind of guy, so I pay attention to such things which I realize not everybody does. My lovely wife hears songs mostly in a melodic & rhythmic sense and usually has no idea what the singer's on about.

It really does depend on the song since it is a marriage of words and music. Not everything is deep.

I mean, "Be Bop A-lula She's my baby, Be Bop A-lulu I don't mean maybe..." is a great song, but kind of dumb lyrics. And sometimes words are just a rhythmic device ("It's the End of the World as We Know It (& I Feel Fine)")

And then you have people like Cole Porter or Lorenz Hart who could twist the language into all kinds of lyric pretzels.

hahaha sorry for the thread jack, but this post just reminded me of an awesome song i heard on the old cartoon "the jetsons". anyone else thinking the same thing? yeah, it goes...

eep opp ork ahh ahh
eep opp ork ahh ahh
eep opp ork ahh ahh
and that means i love you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suafkk2vWNI

someone should really do a cover of this song.

Untill now I mostly just listen to the music. But since I started playing the ukulele I started to take notice to the lyrics to. You have to if you want to learn the song right?

So a new world opened up and I now see the meaning of songs better. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, some of the old songs I thought were dorky are really cool songs once you learn the meaning/feeling you get from singing and playing.

I have always obsessed about the lyrics, even before I started playing. Every song I hear more than 3-4 times I learn pretty much by hearth!
I think I even know most of this by hearth! ;)

I have always listened to lyrics... sort of an Irish tradition. My mother was a lyricist. That helped, too.

As for me own songs, I write both lyrics and melody, but, to me songs are stories about life, things I have seen, places I have been, and people I have known.

As for my all-time favorite writer, John Denver.

Last edited:
hahaha sorry for the thread jack, but this post just reminded me of an awesome song i heard on the old cartoon "the jetsons". anyone else thinking the same thing? yeah, it goes...

eep opp ork ahh ahh
eep opp ork ahh ahh
eep opp ork ahh ahh
and that means i love you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suafkk2vWNI

someone should really do a cover of this song.
It's my 50th post, maybe not quite enough of a benchmark for a contest, but I was thinking that a cartoon cover contest would be awesome, think of all the music in Loony tunes, Tom & Jerry, Flintstones, Jetsons, Spongebob... I really really want to see those done by such a talented crew as we have lurking around here.

Top Bottom