Changing strings too often?

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
The FAQ says "However, changing string types too often is bad for the saddle of the ukulele. So If you put something on, try and stick to it for a while."

What is too often and how much of a problem is this? I wouldn't expect nylon(ish) strings to cut into the saddle significantly, especially if unwound. If it does become a problem, how obvious is it? Swapping out the saddle shouldn't be hard.

I was planning to cycle through a couple of different types to try to see what difference they made and what I liked. So far I'm liking the new set I just put on, but long term I'd like to get a better feel for my options and see if there's something I like better. I was going to order something else to have on hand for the next change, but I'd probably be happy with just a backup set of the same.

I'm not at the point right now where I can use this to justify another ukulele to compare on :)

Thanks!
Rob

Arcy, I'm a frequent changer of strings, and have never observed any adverse effect on the saddle; only on my wallet!

With new ukes I have cycled a half dozen sets through in a few weeks and it never occurred to me that would be detrimental to the uke. Detrimental to the pocket book and time consuming yes! Eventually you find strings you like and the frequency becomes normal. Since it is on our FAQ I'll be interested to know if I'm missing something..

There are a number of people who really fret (no pun intended) about strings; and it is crazy to read/watch/hear some of The Ukulele Site’s stories about strings and issues like imbalance, etc. One leading music educator in the ukulele space argues with me about recommending Aquila’s new KIDS strings, not because of the strings, but because of the possibility of issues (buzzing, imbalance) when changing the strings on a ukulele away from the stock strings.

While I don’t doubt The Ukulele Site for a second (They’re dealing with people that often give them precise measurements for action leaving very little wiggle room), I doubt most of the $50 (or less!) ukuleles bought by schools are going to suffer from a string change.

The idea that the saddle or nut will be harmed—any more than the original strings—is a little crazy. Not sure what to make of that. Of course, if you are going to put metal strings (not just a wound string) on your ukulele, that might be a different story! But then you might find the neck warping before the saddle or nut would show issues.

Thanks all! It sounds like the FAQ's a bit confused there, and that anybody for whom it actually applies is probably not looking at the FAQ for answers.

Bill1's setup issue makes sense, especially if you need to file the nut. I skipped that as the nut height was fine and slots were already wide enough for my new strings, even going from high-G to low-G. It may change if I go to wound. I wouldn't expect to need to adjust the non-compensating saddle just on a string change. I lowered it significantly this time because the ukulele hadn't been set up previously, but the string width difference is within the margin of error I'd be likely to notice on the action. Likewise, the intonation at the 12th fret measures very slightly sharp, but well within the margin of error of my ability to fret cleanly. Experienced folks with the precise measurements Choirguy references may require more work, but anybody who can tell that difference probably isn't looking at the FAQ for help with strings. Except for the nut (which mine was already imprecise) it doesn't look like it'll be a problem for me, and once I have a final decision I can cut a new one.

Arcy, I'm a frequent changer of strings, and have never observed any adverse effect on the saddle; only on my wallet!
Oh my. I felt that this week - I was changing strings with a head cold, and while I got the Ukulele right the first time, I managed to swap the string order on the guitar, tried to tune the D string up to B, and snapped it... twice! I have no idea how I mistook a wound string for an unwound one. I'm not sure if my meds were too good or not good enough :)

The only downside I have seen is that the setup might not be ideal due to string widths being different. I have noticed that some strings I like were fretting sharp and needed but slot deepened and bridge saddle lowered. That said I highly desire changing strings cause the variation of sound produced is quite significant. Most companies and luthiers do not go over the range of strings possible and typically have a few choices or their favorite strings they default to.

I think you can change the strings frequently to find the ones you like the best and then have the ultra-perfect setup done for those strings. Otherwise, you would have to get a new nut/saddle cut and perhaps bridge repositioned every time you tried a new set of strings to determine if you liked them. Or for that matter, if you are a total string perfectionist, altered for every individual string to match your uniquely created set of strings made up from different brands.

I envy people whose hearing and playing skills are so acute and refined that they can notice those minute differences. Much like a wine master sommelier can taste minute differences in fine wines. It is awe inspiring. But I doubt even the biggest string geek (a positive term) would go to that extreme. Only after he/she had the string choices narrowed down to one or two.

Going through many sets on my Pono tenor a few years ago, I was trying worth browns. They were shinier and a little slippery (perhaps coated). Tuning them up they came off the tie bridge with a thwack. This damaged the top finish just behind the bridge (twice!). I've since seen others here with the same battle scars on their ukes. Be sure to add another loop to your knot if there's room, or pretension the knot before you bring the uke up to concert pitch.

I do love the worth browns and this is not meant to steer anyone away from them. It was user error. I've installed them several times since with no problem!

If doing multiple string changes to ukuleles is detrimental then all my fine tenors and baritones have been ruined. I have tried as many as 7 or 8 different strings sets on a some ukes with no ill effects. Etude's statement above is correct, get a string pop and you get a battle scar. It happens, ukes are meant to be used not treated as a musuem piece. I understand the potenial of a wound string digging into the nut. Acoustic guitar players are known to change strings one a month, the steel dulls quickly. Nobody on the guitar forums mention nut damage.

I am a string changing junky, always looking for a specific tone. When I find it then that specific string set stays on until needing a change from playing. Yes I do actually have time to play them between all these string changes :p

Last edited:
I'd love hear a 10 year old strings on versus new strings on same box.
I know strings creep, but no idea when to change. :(

Its not about the saddle or nut wearing out, its about changing the set-up. The set-up technician spends an hour or so carving the nut slots and saddle to get the intonation and string height just right for the strings that are fitted. If you decide to use thinner or fatter strings, you change the string height and might need to do some work on the saddle to get the best intonation and string height.
The best example to illustrate is to look at the difference between a wound string and the equivalent nylon or fluorocarbon string. Do an internet search and you will see the difference.

The bottom of the strings will be in the same place, no matter how thick or thin they are.

If doing multiple string changes to ukuleles is detrimental then all my fine tenors and baritones have been ruined. I have tried as many as 7 or 8 different strings sets on a some ukes with no ill effects. Etude's statement above is correct, get a string pop and you get a battle scar. It happens, ukes are meant to be used not treated as a musuem piece. p
I do whatever I feel like doing with my ukuleles and I don't worry about them. I don't have a one that can't be replaced.

Top Bottom