Scoop vs. Cutaway

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I like a cutaway for the obvious—playing up the neck and ease of barring at the upper frets. But what is the point of the scoop? I like the look of the scoop but as one who’s never really tried a ukulele with a scoop—does the scoop function the same as a cutaway? Or is it’s purpose different?

Interesting question. I’d be interested in seeing the answers.

My understanding is they both serve the same function: to provide better access to the upper frets. The scoop is supposed to do that while minimizing the loss of internal volume of the body like you get from a cutaway. And of course there are basically two styles of cutaways. Which I can't remember the names of because it's late and I have had a nice Scotch whilst reading the boards.

I know people that play both scoop and cutaway and like both.

All of my tenor ukes are cutaway, mainly because I like the look coming from guitars with cutaway, and of course for better access to the upper frets. I know there's this idea that it cuts back on volume, but I don't find that, all my ukes have very good volume, even when I compare them to non-cutaways. Also, no wear and tear on that part of the bout.

Venetian is the more common rounder style, Florentine comes to a point at the tip.

Cutaway Venetian uke.jpg

Cutaway Florentine uke.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

In the past I tried out a scalloped cutaway and I found it didn't offer me as much access as what I finally went with in my custom uke, a florentine cutaway. However those scallops look cool as heck. I will always be torn between the functionality of the regular cutaway and the novel beauty of the scallop

I have one of the original James Hill DaSilva with the the wedge. I don’t play above 12th fret often, but I like the access for strumming.

I have both. The cutaway allows me to barre an "A" shape at the 13th fret. The scalloped at the 11th fret. Barred "C" shape is 14th and 12th respectively. So a cutaway give a bit more room. However, I play above the 12th and have not had an occasion to play a fully barred chord up there. I can play any of the instrumentals I know with a non-scalloped/cutaway. Although it is easier with more room.

I don't think there is any discernible tone differences between the two features.

John

I would like to see someone, not a big star, just a regular person, playing way up the neck that far. I'm sure that there are tons of videos, but I haven't found one. For myself, I can never visualize myself playing way up there.

Thanks for all the replies. I discovered the cut away when I bought a used Pono tenor. I am practicing pieces that go up the neck and find the cutaway to be very handy.

I would like to see someone, not a big star, just a regular person, playing way up the neck that far. I'm sure that there are tons of videos, but I haven't found one. For myself, I can never visualize myself playing way up there.

I disagree if someone is playing fingerstyle instrumentals. If you play a ukulele to accompiany singing, the I have to agree that it would be rare.

John

I disagree if someone is playing fingerstyle instrumentals. If you play a ukulele to accompiany singing, the I have to agree that it would be rare.

John

What are you disagreeing or agreeing to? That I can or can't visualize myself playing that far up the neck, or that I can't find a video? :)

I like the cutaway - I can move my whole hand up the fret board.

I think with a scallop I'd have to stretch my fingers a bit - so I just stick to using a standard double bout, when not using a cutaway.

What are you disagreeing or agreeing to? That I can or can't visualize myself playing that far up the neck, or that I can't find a video? :)

I disagree that you can't find amateur instrumentals on youtube that are played with notes above the 12th, I've stolen ideas from them over the years. But I agree that for a vocalist it is hard to visualize playing chords up there... I can't visualize singing to chords played up there.

John

I'm amateur, and I play above the 12. The scale on the uke is pretty short because it's only 4 strings, so fairly often I go above 12th. Also.... Sometimes you have to start above the open chords if you want to start or include the root of a chord. In the end though... There's all that fretboard. Just because you can choose not to use the whole thing, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't.

I like a cutaway for the obvious—playing up the neck and ease of barring at the upper frets. But what is the point of the scoop? I like the look of the scoop but as one who’s never really tried a ukulele with a scoop—does the scoop function the same as a cutaway? Or is it’s purpose different?

What you have to do is buy a couple of scalloped ukes and see how they compare to your cutaways. :D

I'm amateur, and I play above the 12. The scale on the uke is pretty short because it's only 4 strings, so fairly often I go above 12th. Also.... Sometimes you have to start above the open chords if you want to start or include the root of a chord. In the end though... There's all that fretboard. Just because you can choose not to use the whole thing, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't.

Now I have seen someone play way up there and it was very nice. Well done.

There's all that fretboard. Just because you can choose not to use the whole thing, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't.
Being a much simpler soul and easily pleased, I'm very much a "just because you got all that fretboard it doesnt mean it has to be used" person, LOL

Being a much simpler soul and easily pleased, I'm very much a "just because you got all that fretboard it doesnt mean it has to be used" person, LOL

Fair enough. Like I said, you don't have to. But.. it can add variety/texture/color/whatever you want to call it, which is also nice.

I like this thread because I am thinking about a cutaway. I wonder if a scoop is enough to form pillar/fret chords. I like being able to play up at the neck.

I also notice that the Kamakas and Kanileas do not commonly have cutaways. I wonder why- demand? Kanilea does make a scoop, but I want to be sure I like it first. Kala has a special edition series with scoops, may try that out. Anyone know of good quality brands that make cutaways?

For me the scoop put the wrist/ forearm in an awkward position while a cut away allows for the wrist and forearm to relax in a normal position while playing up there.

Top Bottom