Thinking about buying a 6 string Uke Pros and cons?

Howie1947

Reaction score
Hello all, seriously thinking about a new 6-string. All I have a 4-string ukes now. Those 6-strings sure look and sound nice. Can I get some ideas on the pros and cons of obtaining one? I have been told that some of thing strings on these ukes break more easily due to the different type of tuning> Any truth to that?

Used mostly for strumming and gives a little more depth to the sound. The A and C strings are doubled and tuned an octave apart. Another option is to have the A string in unison and swap out the G string for a low G. One of the guys we play with does picking solos and you'd never know know it was a 6 string. As far as the strings go, never had one break because of tuning. You might also consider an 8 string, a totally different sound altogether.

Last edited:
I got a six string MELE for sale. Great Price.
I have had my six string since August and I have it tuned with low G and a low A. Different sound that I surprisingly liked. Before tuning it that way I had a regular g string on it. I have never seen my strings break or even go out of tune hardley since they have been stretched good. I pick and strum the instrument. I will get another six stringer after I get my KoAloha tenor, but for now it must be sacrifised for the KoAloha.

There are some people that pick with them too, but yes it is mainly for strumming. Kanaka916 and I sometimes jam with a guy that is very good at picking with his 6-string. I find that they have a nice bright sound.

I just picked up a beautful Mele Koa Concert and I couldn't be happier. Kanaka916 mentinoed the traditional tuning for the 6 string, I have mine tuned with a low G so that makes the C strings the same as the tradional (one high and one low) but then it pairs the A strings tuned high. I really love the sound. It's an option, you can still start with it tuned traditionally and if you want to try the Low G tuning just swap the Low A cord with the High G cord, that's what I did...

Good luck and enjoy!

So how do you pick a six string?

Do you just pick both the strings at once if it is one of the doubled ones?

Depending on the string setup previously mentioned, it's usually picked on the high (C or A) string which takes a little bit of control.

Do you just pick both the strings at once if it is one of the doubled ones?

I do all sorts of picking ways with mine. Normally top string with thumb and bottom with finger on the up stroke. and at times I will pick both with a pinching/pluck motion.

Top Bottom