PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a 6 string Uke Pros and cons?

Howie1947
05-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Hello all, seriously thinking about a new 6-string. All I have a 4-string ukes now. Those 6-strings sure look and sound nice. Can I get some ideas on the pros and cons of obtaining one? I have been told that some of thing strings on these ukes break more easily due to the different type of tuning> Any truth to that?

Kanaka916
05-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Used mostly for strumming and gives a little more depth to the sound. The A and C strings are doubled and tuned an octave apart. Another option is to have the A string in unison and swap out the G string for a low G. One of the guys we play with does picking solos and you'd never know know it was a 6 string. As far as the strings go, never had one break because of tuning. You might also consider an 8 string, a totally different sound altogether.

haolejohn
05-19-2009, 05:08 AM
I got a six string MELE for sale. Great Price.
I have had my six string since August and I have it tuned with low G and a low A. Different sound that I surprisingly liked. Before tuning it that way I had a regular g string on it. I have never seen my strings break or even go out of tune hardley since they have been stretched good. I pick and strum the instrument. I will get another six stringer after I get my KoAloha tenor, but for now it must be sacrifised for the KoAloha.

FHS-72
05-19-2009, 05:09 AM
There are some people that pick with them too, but yes it is mainly for strumming. Kanaka916 and I sometimes jam with a guy that is very good at picking with his 6-string. I find that they have a nice bright sound.

05-19-2009, 05:17 AM
a 6-string here. and an 8-string with curly koa on feebay. want but not need. `aue!

rossjr
05-19-2009, 05:30 AM
I just picked up a beautful Mele Koa Concert and I couldn't be happier. Kanaka916 mentinoed the traditional tuning for the 6 string, I have mine tuned with a low G so that makes the C strings the same as the tradional (one high and one low) but then it pairs the A strings tuned high. I really love the sound. It's an option, you can still start with it tuned traditionally and if you want to try the Low G tuning just swap the Low A cord with the High G cord, that's what I did...

Good luck and enjoy!

GreyPoupon
05-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Do you just pick both the strings at once if it is one of the doubled ones?

Kanaka916
05-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Depending on the string setup previously mentioned, it's usually picked on the high (C or A) string which takes a little bit of control.

haolejohn
05-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Do you just pick both the strings at once if it is one of the doubled ones?

I do all sorts of picking ways with mine. Normally top string with thumb and bottom with finger on the up stroke. and at times I will pick both with a pinching/pluck motion.