No Name Ukes (Own Brands Of Shops)

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
Does anyone recommend the ukes from shops which 'own brand' them such as in the UK Gear4Music? It does mail order. This shop is well established and sells a wide variety of instruments from the well known makers in each field, also including its own branded ones. Surely it would not sell poor quality stuff with its own branding.

Clearly buying by mail order within the same country beats doing mail order from a foreign country.

Last edited:
Gear4Music looks like Musician's Friend in the US so I wouldn't expect any better quality than any other inexpensive imported instrument. I imagine the same factory in China makes a number of brands and it is moot as to which decal sits on the headstock. It probably costs Gear4Music less so it may be just more profit.

I can tell you that the best bargain, not the cheapest though, is finding a small local builder. Someone like a Fred Shields here in the states. He makes a no frills quality solid wood instrument for less than nearly anyone else for a comparable ukulele. But he's retired and makes them out of his garage and he has shipped worldwide. If you can find someone like that in Europe it might be worth looking into it. It will cost more than an imported production ukulele, which may be beyond what you want to spend.

John

It's not so much the quality but the setup that makes the instrument. It's why most of us buy from a shop tht does aan in house setup before shipping out.

Top Bottom