Just wondering! High D on a baritone

arktrav

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how many of you tune your baritones with a "high" D, re-entrant.

Any advantages or disadvantages?

I'm just curious, how many of you tune your baritones with a "high" D, re-entrant.

Any advantages or disadvantages?
I’m going to put one of my Baritones in high D tuning. Some songs are tabbed for reentrant.

This is the video that convinced me to try reentrant D. Playing starts at 0:52
As Aaron mentions in the video, reentrant D makes a baritone sound more like a uke.

Last edited:
I have one bari with a high D and it does make the sound a little more ukey than guitary. And does make it easier to use reentrant tab. Also, if you don’t like wound strings and want all flo.carb, reentrant tuning keeps the D string thinner. I haven’t been happy with the thickness of low D flo.carb and acrylics are even worse. My preference though is linear tuning and wound strings.

I use a high D. I find that wound strings don't last very long, so I like the re-entrant with no wounds. Also, my fat fingers like the bigger fretboard but I like to play the reentrant uke music so works just fine. I'm mostly a fingerpicker and mostly campanella.

Your mileage may vary

I'm a high D'er too.
I tried low D for a while - but my playing style relies on that high droney string.
The high D set up keeps the playing feel consistent with all my other ukes (all high G), and still gives a relatively low sounding instrument to distinguish it from the rest of the familly.

I loved it on the baritone that I had. As someone mentioned, it makes it sound more uke-like (vs. guitar-like). I think Ken Middleton/ Living Water Strings makes a good set of these too.

i'm going to put my classical guitar used as 4 string uke put into that after my wound D string breaks. Has lasted over a year so its over due to happen as they always do.
Until then its low D.

I have a few times thought of braking it lol. Not my over 40 year old guitar, just the string I mean ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom