Collings UT1K pricing

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have never paid over $800 for a uke (though I've owned marvelous Kanile'a and Kamaka tenors).
But I still have a Collings itch, especially the satin UC1/UT1. So I'd like to ask this community:

At $1200 + tax + shipping ($1300 total) how well is this UT1K with haircut headstock priced (if it is "excellent" as described - you can never be sure with GC)?
Top appears to be two piece, plainer but attractive straight grained koa.

I know that buying used is always purchasing someone else's second choice, but I really like to buy and sell used at a price where I can easily resell without haggling, usually 65%.
But I also know it's a seller's market with Collings...

Ut1k Tenor Ukulele: [UU is not allowing link]

And, yes, it's sold, so pics won't be available for long...

Are there beautifully built customs in this price range that should be considered instead?

Last edited:
I know that buying used is always purchasing someone else's second choice
Are there beautifully built customs in this price range that should be considered instead?

The ukuleles I've sold haven't been second choice as in not as desirable, but I sold them because they didn't work for me, even if they were great ukuleles. I did some experimenting with difference sized ukuleles and different necks, and now I know what works for me, even if that meant selling off some fantastic ukuleles.

If you're craving a Collings, than maybe pursuing that is the way to go. If you think you might like a custom, I know that you can get a LoPrinzi at that price point, (and even less than that), and those are great ukuleles. I'm sure others have some suggestions as well.

It depends on what you're looking for, too. IMO, if you can add a bit more money, you can't go wrong with a Kinnard. Base price of a Series 1 Kinnard is $1750, so still a chunk of money more than you were looking at, though. And, of course, not everyone will love them, so it depends on what you're looking for. It looks like you have some nice ukuleles in your collection, and difference nut widths and ukulele sizes, so you might be open to a lot of possibilities.

Have fun with the search.

The Griffins look like a nice alternative to the Collings. How does it compare sound wise?

To OP, though: if you're craving a Collings, they do sometimes pop up in the Marketplace, (or put a WTB post there.) They are great ukuleles. I hope they start making them again sometime, though it doesn't seem likely.

I apologize for putting this on Marketplace. I meant to put it on the general forum, perhaps someone in charge here could move it!

Hey, why do some URLS work here and others (Guitar Center, Ebay) are blocked?

Last edited:
Collings ukes are incredible, I have two and will likely try and source a spruce top concert sometime or cedar - think they did a small batch of those too. The low action, mildly radius fret board and the sound - the sound!

Blog, w/ embedded video http://www.griffinukuleles.com/blog/a-busy-few-days

Brian Griffin, (Griffin Ukuleles) offers a Kasha built custom for around a grand. His are just a tad deeper width which offers a striking sound and much more volume.http://www.griffinukuleles.com/available-instruments.html

The Mahogany one for sale now is incredible. Stu Fuchs just ordered one from Brian. You can check out his blog to see it.

I really do(n't) need this kind of enabling, LOL.

Collings ukes are incredible, I have two ....

Pete F, very curious about your comment “mildly radius” not a standard 12” or a compound 12 to 20” like the Kinnard? I have always thought the 12” was a little to much, however I do like the compound Kinnard.

I had a Collings sunburst dog hair mahog tenor, I also have a 50's Martin tenor, they played and sounded very similar, but the Collings was so pretty I was afraid to play it. Kept the Martin, which is scratched and cracked, put some upt's on it and sold the Collings, which was $700 more than the Martin.

Top Bottom