FS: Southcoast Strings, Multiple Sets, Reentrant

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Hey folks,

As a tribute to Dirk and to help Sheldra close out his estate, I have agreed to take on a chunk of the remaining string inventory and offer it up for sale as individual sets. What I have are all reentrant, "no wound" sets, as follows:

Extra Light Gauge XLU (4 available: 2 pending, 4 sold)

Sheldra had to remove a lot of the pages from the Southcoast web site to prevent new orders from coming in, but I was able to find the description page at the Wayback Machine here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180401143521/http://www.southcoastukes.com:80/uku-nw.htm

(I was also able to retrieve many of the charts for keys, scales, and tensions, but I understand many folks find them to be confusing. I will do a follow-up post below with recommended uses for each of the sets. Or if you have a specific uke in mind, I'll be happy to sort through that with you.)

The most recent retail prices ranged from $10.90 to $12.50. In order to keep this simple, I am offering these for $12 per set, regardless of gauge. First class US shipping will be a flat rate of $3 for 1-5 sets. 6 or more sets will be $7 for priority

NEW: Free shipping on all remaining Extra Light sets

For international orders, shipping will be at cost, so that may take some extra time to figure out. (As an example, first class to Australia is about $14, priority $35.)

Preferred payment will be through PayPal. If you want to do something else, send me a note and we can discuss it.

I have set up an email account specifically for this project:
stringsales@justemail.net

Please send orders, questions, or comments to that address.

Thanks!
Jim

P.s. Full disclosure: my cost was not quite full retail, but my intent was not to hoard up these strings, but to get them out to the ukulele community. Best case, if all the sets get sold, I earn a few "free" sets for my own use.

These are all gone:
Light Gauge LU (0 available, 4 sold)
Medium Gauge MU-NW (0 : 12 sold)
Soft Light Medium Gauge SLMU-NW (0 : 10 sold)
Soft Medium Gauge SMU-NW (0 : 5 sold)
Light Heavy Gauge LHU-NW (0 : 2 sold)
Heavy gauge ukulele set HU-NW (0 : 5sold)

Last edited:
Recommended Uses

I was able to recover Dirk's original charts from the Wayback Machine, but rather than repost those and try to explain them, what I'll do here is list the recommended key for a medium-tension setup for each uke size along with any recommended higher or lower tension options.

If this is still confusing, just send me an email of what you want to do, and I'll help you sort it out.

Extra Light
Sopranino - G (F, F#)
Soprano - F (Eb, E, F#, G)
Concert - Eb (E, F)
Tenor - (Eb, i.e. already higher tension)

Light
Soprano - Eb
Concert - D (C, C#, Eb)
Tenor - D (C, C#)

Soft Light Medium
Soprano - (D, i.e. already lower tension)
Concert - D (C, C#)
Tenor - C (Bb, B, C#, D)
Baritone - B (Bb, C)

Medium & Soft Medium
Soprano - D (C, C#)
Concert - C (Bb, B, C#, D)
Tenor - Bb (A, B, C)
Baritone - Bb (A, B, C) - not a misprint, slightly higher tension than tenor

Light Heavy
Concert - Bb
Tenor - A (G, G#, Bb)
Baritone - G (G#, A)

Heavy
Tenor - A (G, G#)
Baritone - G (G#, A)

almost 24 hours listed and 23 sets sold. Thanks folks! :cool:

Still 9 sets of the versatile Soft Light Mediums (C tuning for concert, tenor, or baritone - among other uses) and 2 sets of Heavy (G tuning for tenor or baritone)

After that, we'll have to start getting creative for the Lights and Extra Lights. :)

Thursday bump. Over half spoken for. These are still available, and here is a suggested common usage:

6 SLM - gCEA for concert(low tension), tenor(medium tension), baritone(high tension)
2 HU - dGBE for tenor (low tension) or baritone (medium tension)
4 LU - low tension gCEA for concert or tenor; Eb soprano
10 XLU - Eb for soprano(low tension), concert(medium tension), or tenor(high tension)

Are there any more Soprano sets available?

Are there any more Soprano sets available?

Yes, but not for normal C tuning. The SLM will give you a low tension D tuning - a whole step higher than "normal". The Light will give you a medium tension Eb. The Extra Light will give you the even higher F or G tuning.

I'll give this another bump since I just got another inquiry. Still 4 of these XLU sets unclaimed if you want a higher tuning for your new Christmas present. :cool:

Top Bottom