Fell in love again...

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I was all sure I was going to sell my Kamaka HF-1 to fund another uke. Last night I was watching some GotAUkulele reviews. One happened to be on my ukulele. After the kids were asleep(wife still awake). I got out of bed and brought the Kamaka case into bed. I opened it, tuned the ukulele and BAM what the heck was I thinking. As I strummed some easy chords I was blown away by the beautiful sound. I instantly decided that if I sold it I would live to regret it. It's a keeper for life now.

Have any of you had these moments when you were sure you were going to sell your ukulele and then something magical happened to change your mind. Let's hear about it.

BTW thanks GotAUkulele for the inspiration.

Oh yes I have had second thoughts, that's why I still have a house full ;)

I have almost sold my Webber spuce cocobolo tenor twice . My Kamaka 100th Anniversary baritone, it has a 1-1/2" nut and flat flatboard. Pretty much everything I own has a radius. But everytime I play it.....love at first strum. The Mya Moe baritone and Kamaka HF-2 L that I have listed for sale right now could get pulled from the marketplace at anytime. I have them locked away in their cases and in the basement so I am not tempted to play them

Yep, I still kick myself for not grabbing that Webber when offered Dave. Like Dave, I have a room full of "almost sold" ukes that were pulled off the market. I'm getting a new baritone shortly and am looking at some of the tenors, including a Moore Bettah, that I may put on and pull off the market.

Oh yes I have had second thoughts, that's why I still have a house full ;)

I have almost sold my Webber spuce cocobolo tenor twice . My Kamaka 100th Anniversary baritone, it has a 1-1/2" nut and flat flatboard. Pretty much everything I own has a radius. But everytime I play it.....love at first strum. The Mya Moe baritone and Kamaka HF-2 L that I have listed for sale right now could get pulled from the marketplace at anytime. I have them locked away in their cases and in the basement so I am not tempted to play them

That was my downfall and salvation. I opened the case to play it.

Yep, I still kick myself for not grabbing that Webber when offered Dave. Like Dave, I have a room full of "almost sold" ukes that were pulled off the market. I'm getting a new baritone shortly and am looking at some of the tenors, including a Moore Bettah, that I may put on and pull off the market.

That is funny! Luckily I only own three at the moment. I have one being built and one that I’m jonesing for. It’s hard to save and wait. That’s why I almost let go of my Kamaka.

Andrew from HMS said something that is full of wisdom, "Remember why you bought it and why you love before getting rid of it". Great instruments, truly great instruments are not all that common, even among the established builders. If you have one hang on to it as they are not easily replaced.

Andrew from HMS said something that is full of wisdom, "Remember why you bought it and why you love before getting rid of it". Great instruments, truly great instruments are not all that common, even among the established builders. If you have one hang on to it as they are not easily replaced.

Wise words. Makes it hard to keep the number of ukuleles from growing, though, when you want to try a new one, but find it hard to let go of any. But, they say there is strength in numbers, right? :)

I had this experience once I seriously thought of selling my Collings UT1 couple of years back. Today, I’m glad I didn’t.

I had one of those moments after I SOLD my HF-2L.
Not repeating that one with the HF-3.
Kamaka has a special thing going.

I had this experience once I seriously thought of selling my Collings UT1 couple of years back. Today, I’m glad I didn’t.

Glad to hear it. I now know what that feeling is. So if next time I feel it coming on again I know how to handle it. I was playing my HF-1 again today and was still overtaken by the warmth and joy it gave off. It was like I was sitting on the beach in Hawaii.

I had one of those moments after I SOLD my HF-2L.
Not repeating that one with the HF-3.
Kamaka has a special thing going.

I don't know why I didn't recognize what I had for so long. I guess I took it for granted how special my Kamaka was. It took a seriously good review from a good reviewer to remind me that I should take it out and play and really listen to how special the sound and build really is. I did just that.

There are two sides to the coin. I have owned many dozens of fine ukes and currently have about 10. I most certainly do have ones I sold I miss. But on other hand, had I not let them go I would not have had the joy of experiencing many other fine instruments. So rather than, ahem, fret the ones I miss I enjoy the journey of exploring new ones and will continue to buy and sell and buy. But I recognize we each have our own path.

There are two sides to the coin. I have owned many dozens of fine ukes and currently have about 10. I most certainly do have ones I sold I miss. But on other hand, had I not let them go I would not have had the joy of experiencing many other fine instruments. So rather than, ahem, fret the ones I miss I enjoy the journey of exploring new ones and will continue to buy and sell and buy. But I recognize we each have our own path.
Good Points Ukulele Eddie. For sure. Who knows what the future will bring. Hopefully another ukulele right!

Oh no, I should not have read this post! I have been contemplating of selling a few of my ukes. Now, I am not so sure...

Ha! Sorry ��. I pale in comparison to you. Currently I only own three ukes with two on the way. I don’t know what it’s like owning that many. I guess I could understand if you wanted to sell a few. But then again... I’m sure they all have their place. I have been playing my Kamaka soprano with renewed fervor.

I really don't regret selling any ukes.
Now a friend has fallen in love with my Duke banjouke. I shouldn't have loaned it to him. His wife isn't happy with me.
At least he isn't in love with me...

Stay strong. I had a Kanale'i Super Tenor that I never really bonded with. I had decided to sell it, but before I did, I somewhat randomly restrung it with a low G. Magic! It changed everything!

I eventually ended up selling it anyways, since I got some even better ukes. With my current fleet, if I should accidentally scratch it a bit with enthusiastic playing, my disappointment only lasts a few minutes, since I know I don't have to worry about resale value, since I am never going to sell them.

I really don't regret selling any ukes.
Now a friend has fallen in love with my Duke banjouke. I shouldn't have loaned it to him. His wife isn't happy with me.
At least he isn't in love with me...

Must be some banjuoke?!?

Top Bottom