Ouch

Rllink

Reaction score
I'm not shy about telling everyone that I don't baby my ukes. I paid the price today. I am now the proud owner of a Mainland concert that took a nose dive off of a table this morning and looks pretty bad. I'm not even going to post a picture. Dang, just four days before GMUG.

Oh, no! Looks aren’t everything — can you still play it??

See if it still plays. I just received a new bass uke from Aquila that was damaged in transport, it was obviously dropped from up high, the box landing on the tail end. The top is cracked in three places from the tail to the bridge, the binding at the tail is broken and the ABS curved body is cracked right next to the strap button, but surprisingly, it still plays very well. Aquila is sending me a new one no charge and said keep the broken one, too costly for them to pay for a return.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
Bad luck, my friend.

I've dropped a couple of mine, but they just bounced, luckily, & didn't even get scratched. :)

Just imagine how you would have felt if it had been a Kamaka...... ;)

No pictures and it didn't happen.......just sayi ' :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It must be an epidemic. I put a ding in my Gary Gill tenor last week. I grabbed it to run upstairs & play a song for my family. I wasn’t being careful & knocked it against a door jam. It now has a little gouge out of the edge. Thankfully it’s small & on the back. But I know it’s there, and I am heartbroken & ticked off at myself for doing it. I just keep remembering Willie Nelson & Trigger ..... it means the instrument is getting played.

Or that $21,000 MB that was just auctioned off.

But, it had to be tough to see the damage. I hope it can be repaired.
I believe it could have been repaired, but I'm not sure it would have been worth the effort and expense. I talked to Mike at Mainland about pulling the MiSi out of it and sending him that and the tuners. I think that might be the best route to take. It isn't really about replacing the ukulele. I played that ukulele a lot and it was starting to get some character. A few nicks and scratches never bothered me. This is a bit more than a nick or a scratch. It is a crack and separation. The second thing is that I worked some glue into the crack and where it was separated and tried to pop it back into place myself with a clamp, and it didn't pop. So now not only is it cracked and separated, but it is glued that way. I'll get over it, I'm sure. I think that my point is more that it is fine to be cavalier with your ukes, just be ready to accept the consequences. :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your uke. Life sometimes brings us bad stuff. It’s a good thing that you have a coupla usable ones to take to GMUG.

Maybe you can pick up a new one there. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I've tried to use the time handling my ukes to be a lesson in being in the moment. Pay attention. STOP. Pay attention. Now that sounds really enlightened until the phone rings while i'm playing and I know it's that important call I've been waiting for and....

Sorry to hear about your uke. Life sometimes brings us bad stuff. It’s a good thing that you have a coupla usable ones to take to GMUG.

Maybe you can pick up a new one there. :eek:ld:

Something will find me eventually, and you are right, I still have a ukulele to play? It isn't like it was the only one that I have.

My Kala is beat to heck. Does it sound good? Better than ever! Do i care what it looks like? Nah.
My Cocobolo has unintentional scratches from resting my pinkie while picking. My friend says I should care. I really don't. It looks played.
If I get my dream uke, will I care if I scratch it?
Maybe not.

My Kala is beat to heck. Does it sound good? Better than ever! Do i care what it looks like? Nah.
My Cocobolo has unintentional scratches from resting my pinkie while picking. My friend says I should care. I really don't. It looks played.
If I get my dream uke, will I care if I scratch it?
Maybe not.
When I contemplate getting a $$$$ uke, I think about how I’d feel about taking it to jams, workshops, and to play at church. Will I be super nervous and lose some of the joy of playing it? I think you have the right attitude Nickie. Be careful but not obsessive.

Rllink ...... sorry that your repair attempt didn’t work out.

Top Bottom