Luthiers String Selection Criteria

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’d be very interested to know if Luthiers always use the same brand of strings and how they came to that decision. Also, if you ever mix different string brands on one instrument.

Yes, and yes, sometimes.

Basically, years of trying out different sets, finding out what works, what doesn’t, and what I can do with the strings on my instruments. It took a while for me to realize that a LOT of R&D goes into guitar strings, not so much it seems for ukulele. I couldn’t swallow installing guitar strings on my ukulele, but I resolved to what works. Maybe a little different now, but it still seems to be flavor of the month if you hang around long enough.

I saw a post somewhere suggesting that builders do research, listen to their customers, etc. like we don’t already do that.

Last edited:
I find that whatever strings I choose to put on a uke 75% of the buyers will change them over to the string sets they prefer.

I used Oasis strings for a long time but have switched to some strings made by Jason Arimoto in LA. They're called PHD, Premium High Density and have worked great for me. They have a little more tension than other strings I have tried and they have a clarity that I like. His website is

uspacela.com.

I think Ken is right tho, most people will change em out anyways

Yes, and yes, sometimes.

Basically, years of trying out different sets, finding out what works, what doesn’t, and what I can do with the strings on my instruments. It took a while for me to realize that a LOT of R&D goes into guitar strings, not so much it seems for ukulele. I couldn’t swallow installing guitar strings on my ukulele, but I resolved to what works. Maybe a little different now, but it still seems to be flavor of the month if you hang around long enough.

I saw a post somewhere suggesting that builders do research, listen to their customers, etc. like we don’t already do that.

I find that whatever strings I choose to put on a uke 75% of the buyers will change them over to the string sets they prefer.

Thank you for your feedback.

When I first purchased custom builds they were all 2nd hand. When they arrived I wanted to put a fresh set of strings on them. I started using Worth’s but quickly modified those with, first, wound 4ths and then wound 3rd Strings on all my tenors(usually Savarez). I then moved to Southcoast sets which I sent sets of to the Luthiers who were building commissioned instruments for me. Now, with the sad demise of the Southcoast owner Dirk, I’v gone back to concocting Frankenstein sets. My favourite bases have been the TI chrome flat wound’s for a short while now but I had no idea what trebles would work with them. The set that I sent to Allen McFarlan for use on the Sugar Box/Yellow Cedar Tenor that he recently posted photos of included the Savarez 540 R series trebles that a few UU’ers recommended. At first those felt weird but after a week of playing I’m quite liking them. I’ve had some other recommendations and will try those out in time as I am a serial tinkerer and always like to ask ‘what if’.

I used Oasis strings for a long time but have switched to some strings made by Jason Arimoto in LA. They're called PHD, Premium High Density and have worked great for me. They have a little more tension than other strings I have tried and they have a clarity that I like. His website is

uspacela.com.

I think Ken is right tho, most people will change em out anyways

Thanks for the reference and your comment.

Re what you and Ken said, I guess you’re right. In my case I’ve sent all the Luthiers who were building instruments for me my current favourites to install.

Years ago, i had on my order form various string options.
Now I use only brand (Oasis) for two reasons (1) they sound great, are very consistent, and are easily available, (2) because I intonate to that set and its done.

I deliver all my ukes with an extra Oasis set and also a Fremont Soloist Low G for the customer to try.

I also sometimes use Savarez 540 R series.

Concocting a uke set from 4 different brands is just pissing around.

In regard to choice- if i hear customers, players, dealers and other luthier say that brand X string is great, i'll switch to brand X as my standard.

I think what Beau stated about mixing sets from a builder's perspective is important. I'm a little tentative when I string with mixed sets. The client needs to be able to replace the strings eventually, and if they're all Savarez (mine usually are), makes it easier on them. Granted, they'll need to order a treble set and individual 4th, so not as easy as an Oasis set, for instance.

On the other hand, if you're paying more than $2k for an instrument, then you should be able to source strings I'm thinking.

Years ago, i had on my order form various string options.
Now I use only brand (Oasis) for two reasons (1) they sound great, are very consistent, and are easily available, (2) because I intonate to that set and its done.

I deliver all my ukes with an extra Oasis set and also a Fremont Soloist Low G for the customer to try.

I also sometimes use Savarez 540 R series.

Concocting a uke set from 4 different brands is just pissing around.

In regard to choice- if i hear customers, players, dealers and other luthier say that brand X string is great, i'll switch to brand X as my standard.

I’ve tried the Oasis on my Collings Concert and they do sound good and would be happy to continue with those on that instrument. For my tenors (Hoffmann, Barron River and yours are all very different) the TI’s bases sound great on all and are easy for me to acquire via strings by mail as singles. I had no issues swapping out the Southcoast bases from the set I sent you. The intonation is still spot on. But I agree 4 different brands would be a sustainablity nightmare.
I know that many classical guitar strings are packaged as sets of bases and sets of trebles. I’m just following that format but am able to buy a mini base set and a seperate mini treble set for what I consider a reasonable cost.
I also figured that a standardised string set would lead to a standardised intonation setup procedure so am not surprised by you comment. I hope I didn’t cause too much disruption to your normal workflow when I asked that the Southcoast Strings be used instead of your preferred Oasis. The instrument sounded fantastic when I first received it and still does with the TI chrome Flat Wounds.

I think what Beau stated about mixing sets from a builder's perspective is important. I'm a little tentative when I string with mixed sets. The client needs to be able to replace the strings eventually, and if they're all Savarez (mine usually are), makes it easier on them. Granted, they'll need to order a treble set and individual 4th, so not as easy as an Oasis set, for instance.

On the other hand, if you're paying more than $2k for an instrument, then you should be able to source strings I'm thinking.

As Beau points out, stringing with four separate brands is crazy but when a player prefers one or both of the bases to be wound and the trebles to work well with them, I don’t see a two brand mix as either difficult to match as a whole or difficult to acquire.
When I started using the Fremont soloist low g and then added a Savarez would c I had three brands on the run. Now that has been reduced to two which becomes a simpler exercise in achieving a balanced outcome.
I think though that these concerns are limited to owners who have invested in finely crafted custom builds, as you said, and don’t mind searching for what they believe is the best sound for their instrument.

SO Hollis- You are using fremont soloist low G, and the rest Savarez?- If so, that's a good set up.

No, haven’t used the Soloist’s for more than 3 years. I used the Southcoast sets that came with 2 wound bases for quite a while . Now that they are no longer available is the reason I’m exploring alternatives. Very happy with the TI’s bases at this point in time. If that changes I’d happily go back to Fremont and Savarez.

I think Sven has probably written what many don't want to - put good, but not overly pricey, strings on, knowing that a majority of buyers will change them out right away anyway. And Seaguar fluorocarbon leader has tested favorably to many high-priced fluorocarbon uke strings, so buying in bulk and using that has a ton of appeal. Just be careful to match leader diameter to typical ukulele string diameters so intonation doesn't change when customers ditch them for something else.

John

I’ve spoken with a number of people who use fishing line leader. They consider it good enough for their purposes and it’s surely economical.

I’ve also recently spoken to a number of long time players who only consider high quality classical guitar strings as worthwhile. The continuum of opinion is quite long on this issue.

As there seems to be no published evidence that would indicate a basis for fact I have to conclude that it is a purely subjective matter. As far as I’m concerned I don’t mind trying out a new $20 set of strings on a $3K Ukulele if I enjoy the outcome.

Yeah there is a gap between thinking about diameters and tunings and break strengths which is in pounds. I have it figured out. Most flourocarbon strings are a bit thinner than those of nylgut or other materials but that’s better than if they were thicker. Adjusting the width of saddle slots is a one way street for most people.

Surely you don't think that the factories that spin out 10,000,000 miles of nylon and flourocarbon filament every week, do it just for musical instruments especially ukuleles that use it in 60cm lengths (and it comes in lots of different shades from clear to black including green blue red and brown )... A lot of it goes to the world wide fishing industries who must get through millions of miles of it making nets ect:....most of it ends up floating about in the sea eventually killing off wildlife.:(
pile-old-used-fishing-nets-450w-1051544363.jpg nets 2.jpg plasic net.jpg
I recently purchased some 95 M flourocarbon leaders .. 4 different sizes cost me about £70 , if i cut them up into soprano size lengths and put it into packets..and sell them at £7 a set I wood make approx: £800 or more profit .. and I think thats what a lot of these uke string suppliers do..only they buy the stuff in bulk :)

Last edited:
Timbuck's probably right it's depressing thinking about what plastic is doing to our beautiful planet.

Top Bottom