Refinishing a Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
How practical is it to refinish a ukulele that has a bad finish? I don't have anything specific in mind, just thinking ahead. Suppose the finish is worn or has a lot of scratches. Would it be practical to sand it smooth and then spray it with gloss lacquer?

Not sure what you consider "practical", but it would be a really bad idea on a quality instrument! Not many, if any ukulele builders use gloss lacquer. Depending on the results you're looking for, a lot of experience with wood finishes and techniques would be needed.

It depends on the patient.

I've refinished a ukulele only once, because it was already refinished but in a bad way, and because it was an instrument of low cost (but high value: fleamarket bargain, which plays well). Lots and lots of sanding, especially in the nooks and crannies, and then choosing a light varnish, applying thin coats and sanding in between them.

With better, more costly ukuleles that had serious scratches or worn-out patches, I've often gone down the path of cleaning, and putting on a thin wax. The wax is removeable, protects the wood but doesn't really affect the sound much because it hardens. Plus it smells good.

I'd avoid oils at all costs, save perhaps lemon oil for a fretboard. It stains, but doesn't protect except through a bit of saturation.

In any case, avoid the hard film 'boat lacquer' PU (polurethane) or acrylic varnishes, they will kill the sound by essentially shrinkwrapping your uke in a thin plastic foil. Rather look for alkyd based ones, or if you go with a wax, the most natural product is bees wax.

Last edited:
Another great wax for this sort of thing is "Renaissance Wax" (as used by the British Museum)

Honestly, I would never refinish an acoustic instrument. Not only does it usually decreased the value (unless it was really cheap to begin with), but it generally degrades the tone. As Paul McCartney sang, "Let it be"...

At the same time, if it will make you happier to play it and look at it, you should do what you want. Some people like the battle weathered look, while others don't. Whatever works for you.

I would probably contact some good luthiers and read a bit about it before I would get knee deep into it. Maybe buy some old beater and practice on that first to get your technique down.

I'm not that concerned about refinishing a ukulele, except for getting the old finish off. As much as people would like to think a long involved process is used to finish a ukulele, I know there are some small builders who rattle can it. They are smart enough to use a satin finish.

A few years ago, at a local guild, I saw where they were going to discuss using spray cans at one of their meetings. It really surprised me, but I do understand why it would be done on some instruments.

John

Years ago I bought a 20's Martin that had 12 cracks , missing nut, broken soundhole , a hole in the back , and someone had painted psychedelic designs on the top.
I fixed everything removed the designs on the front ( I wish I left them)
Then i got an aeresol can of clear lacquer from StewMac and sprayed the body , wet sanded and Voila .
It is a great uke , looks and sounds great .
I dont know if it is still here on this site but there were pictures
The title was " psychedelic uke"

Last edited:
Years ago I bought a 20's Martin that had 12 cracks , missing nut, broken soundhole , a hole in the back , and someone had painted psychedelic designs on the top.
I fixed everything removed the designs on the front ( I wish I left them)
Then i got an aeresol can of clear lacquer from StewMac and sprayed the body , wet sanded and Voila .
It is a great uke , looks and sounds great .
I dont know if it is still here on this site but there were pictures
The title was " psychedelic uke"

I couldn’t find it at first but for those interested here it is: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?20988-Psychedelic-Uke-is-done-(for-now)
IMHO it looks just grand and the repairs are somewhat impressive too, respect.

Last edited:
I painted the top of a Mainland Concert , painted it black , still looks great. I bought it with a broken top and repaired it . I taped off the rope binding , sprayed black lacquer from
Home Depot , wet sanded , polished. It came out very good . There should be pictures of it here on this site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom