Mismatched Grover Tuners

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I was putting a set of Grover 9NB tuners on my banjo uke, and I saw that I had three for the right and one for the left. That's weird. I don't know when I got them, and I don't have any packaging to return them, so I ordered another set. In the meantime, I'll have to install one tuner upside down, with the button sticking up. Otherwise, the holes for the screws will be to be redone.

Do you have to play some tunes standing on your head?

Bummer they were incorrectly packaged. I have done this sort of thing too many times. I'll receive something, open it and check that everything is in one piece from the shipping, but set it aside for a while before I need the item. Only to find that it's missing a part or has two of the wrong part. Big time PIA! I can remember a couple of instances where the company that made the item no longer made the item, or went out of business. A big palm plant to the forehead when that happened.

As the French say, "Phooey!" :p

Maybe put out a BOLO for the person who inadvertently bought the opposite set from yours.... :^)

bratsche

Grovers have a lifetime warranty. If you contact them they may swap one for you. Worth an email.

Have you taken them apart and flipped the shaft around? I vaguely remember doing that on a open gear tuner once upon a time. I think you just have to unscrew the gear, reverse the shaft, and screw the gear back down.

When you look at them, the RH and LH look identical except for the shaft direction.

John

Last edited:
I've also flipped the screw drive to the other side on open geared tuners. Just takes a Phillips head screw diver.

Have you taken them apart and flipped the shaft around? I vaguely remember doing that on a open gear tuner once upon a time. I think you just have to unscrew the gear, reverse the shaft, and screw the gear back down.

When you look at them, the RH and LH look identical except for the shaft direction.

John

YES!

Jerry - just undo the screw for the gear, remove the gear, then remove the shaft with the button, and put the shaft so the button is on the other side, and replace the gear and screw.

IMHO - these kinds of tuners are essentially and nearly always "reversible" in this manner.

John

Ah, right! I forgot about that. I've ordered another set, so I'll use one of them.

YES!

Jerry - just undo the screw for the gear, remove the gear, then remove the shaft with the button, and put the shaft so the button is on the other side, and replace the gear and screw.

IMHO - these kinds of tuners are essentially and nearly always "reversible" in this manner.

I have to take the blame for this situation. I'm not sure how it happened, but this dates back to when I put tuners like this on my Fluke. I vaguely remember taking one or more apart. The tuners I was using yesterday were not new out of the box, and I suspect I had a "situation" when I was using them on another uke in the past.

So, Grover is off the hook, and I'll have a new set on Tuesday. Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll take that one apart and save the new set.

Top Bottom