NUD LfdM 19" super tenor

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I picked up my new LfdM 19" super tenor from Luis about one week ago and have been playing it every day since, below are the details

*Tenor body increased depth to 3-1/4"
*19 inch scale length, joins at 15th fret
*non-cutaway, round sound hole
*Side sound port
*Arm rest
*Radiused macassar ebony fretboard
*Spanish cedar neck
*Sinker cedar top
*White/Red/Black purfing
*Curly myrtle back and sides
*Red maple bindings through out
*Slothead with Gotoh stealth tuners
*Custom shaped bridge (smiley)
*Zero fret, bone nut and saddle
*Water based lacquer finish

*Brazilian rosewood used for arm rest, bridge, rosette and headstock overlay.

Most of you followed my build in progress thread so know the details behind this but a quick recap. One year ago I played the first tenor Luis made with a sinker cedar top (first time I had heard of this wood) and was captivated. We had talked about doing a 19" tenor designed for B or Bb tuning and I loved the sound of that sinker cedar so a plan was hatched. Luis decided to increase body depth by 1/4" to take advantage of the longer scale length. We used my headstock shape, designed for my baritone and the stealth tuners allowing a thinner lighter headstock.

I have always thought Luis's bridge design was too square looking, everything else has round flowing curves. We came up with a new bridge design, I call it smiley and I like it, makes me smile;) Because of the scale length the bridge had to be moved back 20mm and the bracing pattern/placement modified. Luis leaves no stone unturned, he wasn't about to just slap a long neck on a standard tenor.

This instrument is light, well balanced and plays effortlessly. I don't really notice the extra length when playing. The sound has a great mix of warm resonance with crisp well defined trebles. It is loud, piles of volume but sounds great played softly. I had Luis install an LR Baggs 5.0 and it is one of the most natural sounding ukes amplified I own. I am already working up an open mic performance with it. I am thrilled with this instrument and it is different enough from my spruce rosewood macaferri style LfdM standard GCEA tenor to not be redundant.

20181020_064610.jpg20181020_064752.jpg20181020_064629.jpg20181020_065404.jpg20181020_070321.jpg

Last edited:
cedar/myrtle is a great combination. With that big body, you'd be forgiven for calling it a baritone (and I bet it would sound great in DBGE too), but with the planned higher tuning, super tenor is also accurate. Can't wait to hear it! :drool:

Congratulations, Dave! Luis and you made some great choices on woods and design. I bet it sounds wonderful! Did you have a case custom made to fit this special shape, or are you using a baritone case?

cedar/myrtle is a great combination. With that big body, you'd be forgiven for calling it a baritone (and I bet it would sound great in DBGE too), but with the planned higher tuning, super tenor is also accurate. Can't wait to hear it! :drool:

Hey Jim....I had it down to DGBE but the strings I have on it are for B tuning and a little too thin, will try it down the road.

Regarding a sound sample, I want to do this right and my phone isn't cutting it, I tried. When Brenda can come over with her microphone we will do it. She is presently at home sick, she hasn't even played this yet so it might be a while

Last edited:
Congratulations, Dave! Luis and you made some great choices on woods and design. I bet it sounds wonderful! Did you have a case custom made to fit this special shape, or are you using a baritone case?

Thanks so much Rainer, it is even prettier in person. Luis actually had a new Guardian brand hardcase on hand that fit this perfectly, I got lucky.

Lovely instrument Dave. Congrats! I’ve found a super tenor is very versatile, play as a baritone or tenor....or somewhere in between. Enjoy.

Now tell me what Luis is building next for you. ;)

Lovely instrument Dave. Congrats! I’ve found a super tenor is very versatile, play as a baritone or tenor....or somewhere in between. Enjoy.

Now tell me what Luis is building next for you. ;)

Thanks Hodge. I have an old beat up Gianinni 19" baritone and it is very versatile from DGBE up to GCEA and all stops in between. So yes this one will be fun to experiment with

Next for Luis to build me..........maybe a small classical guitar/ large guilele type instrument. Something with a 48mm nut width, radiused fretboard, 23"- 24" scale length on an appropriately sized body. I received a Romero Creations baritone guilele with 20" scale and really enjoy it. Something a bit bigger would be perfect. With my standard tenor, this super tenor and a baritone I got the LfdM ukulele scene covered.

Congratulations Dave. The more I looked at your pictures, the most impatient I became. I can't wait to try it out when I come visit you.

I can't agree with you more about the shape of the bridge. Now the bridge matches the rest of the instrument.

Congratulations Dave. The more I looked at your pictures, the most impatient I became. I can't wait to try it out when I come visit you.

I can't agree with you more about the shape of the bridge. Now the bridge matches the rest of the instrument.

Thanks Joseph, I look forward to you playing this in comparison to my standard tenor. They both sound like a LfdM, different woods different tone. Luis likes this bridge as well and said he will probably incorporate something similar going forward

20181028_101059.jpg

Last edited:
This forum never ceases to make my mouth water. I feel like a penniless man at a buffet.

Awesome acquisition, Dave. It sure looks a beauty. Send us a soundclip so we can really be jealous.

This forum never ceases to make my mouth water. I feel like a penniless man at a buffet.

Awesome acquisition, Dave. It sure looks a beauty. Send us a soundclip so we can really be jealous.

Thank you. It gives me a lot a pleasure to admire the beautiful woods and craftmanship. Yesterday I was rockin' out on a Kala super soprano and having a ball. Playing uke, no matter the cost of the instrument puts a smile on my face. But thank you for the compliments

Wow, Dave, that looks great. The woods are really striking. I really like the longer scale length too. Congrats, Luis out did himself.

Wow, Dave, that looks great. The woods are really striking. I really like the longer scale length too. Congrats, Luis out did himself.

Thanks a lot Adam I appreciate the comments. You have to come over and try it out, someone that can really play needs to strap this on:music:.
Bring your new acquisitions over as well.

Oh my gosh!!!!! It turned out beautifully Dave. What a fabulous instrument, can’t wait to hear a sound sample.
Congratulations on another LfdM ukulele. :music:

Congratulations Dave. Another winner from LfdM. Truely gorgeous! With the extra body volume I bet it sounds wonderful. Definitely a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole.

Top Bottom