Duke 10 - Back in Business

I kinda wish I had waited and bought a 10. I have the old 8 and it's okay, but I like the sound of the 10 better. Too bad they don't make a concert scale neck, this tenor scale is a bit of a reach for me at times.

I bought the 10 and will now probably build one of my own because that tenor neck is just too big. I really do have little kid sized hands. I even tried to get a concert neck from Duke but no luck. Love the sound of it, but will probably need to sell it. Sniff.

I bought the 10 and will now probably build one of my own...

I measured the neck angle of one of my banjo ukes, and it seemed to be about 3°. I'll have to be careful to get an angle like that when I make my next one. I'm going to use the same system to attach the neck. I'll shape a piece of mahogany - or maybe oak - to fit the curve of the drum and angle it down at 3° to attach the neck. I don't want to try shaping the neck and mess it up.

You should maybe look for a concert Firefly. I have a soprano that has a great sound and is very light weight.

You should maybe look for a concert Firefly. I have a soprano that has a great sound and is very light weight.

At least for me it had a really weird buzzing to it I didn't like. I tried a concert in that shop too, and same thing. I don't know what it was. I know people love them. I love the Duke sound so maybe doing a 10" drum will kinda replicate it.

Besides I like the idea of playing one I put together.

Top Bottom