Custom -How do you choose?

ghostrdr

Reaction score
So, I’m intrigued by the world of customs.

Can we agree, when you are in a shop, even different instruments of the same make and model have some variations? There is some value to being able to hold an instrument, hear it, play it, etc. before buying.

But with customs, the builders often have year or years long waiting lists. Without being able to hear one and play one, how do you choose which builder? Then how do you choose which wood combination?

I feel like it’s a little like taking a leap of faith, but it’s an expensive leap! What if after waiting two years and spending thousands, you are not in love?

I’m so confused. I know this community loves certain luthiers. Before buying instruments from those builders, did you play a friend’s instrument first?

Any help is much appreciated,
Rich

If you can't play a similar custom model from a luthier. Reviews and careful listening to sound samples can help narrow the field.

+1 to what Hodge said. Many of them also have a lot of good information on their web site, Facebook page, etc, from which you can get a feel for their approach, price range, waiting times, etc. that can help you figure out if they are a potential match for your project. And then - talk to them. If you have a few picked out, send them a brief list of your wishes/questions and see if there is a "meeting of the minds".

Keep in mind that (barring certain medical or physical constraints) it is highly unlikely that you *need* a custom instrument. Therefore, the main reason to do a custom build is to enjoy the experience. Helping design an instrument just for you should be fun. If there's something stressful or anxiety-producing about it, then maybe it isn't for you. Whether that is the anxiety of spending a certain amount of money, worrying over the details, or dealing with the wait and inevitable delays - if your personality is such that those are going to bother you, then don't bother.

Price is what drove me when I first decided to have a custom made almost five years ago. I contacted a few North American luthiers for a gypsy jazz wide mouth, which cost from about $1200 to about $2400, but did not look exactly how I wanted. I had been looking at Bruce Wei Arts ukuleles on eBay and saw that he also did customs.

I emailed a mockup of how I wanted it done, he was the only one who returned a diagram showing that he already has made gypsy jazz ukes. He quoted my $780 including shipping, so I took a chance. It took him about 4 months to make and ship it. He actually added some purfling that I didn't expect, it came out so nice and has great tone. Since then he's made me four others, including a bass uke.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
Always good to get to see/sample their work before commissioning a custom. But that is not always possible for everyone. I have some whose work I was very familiar with and others where I relied on video samples and/or reviews. By all means, think twice before having a custom inlay of your dog on a commissioned instrument unless you know it will be a keeper for life and you want to be buried with it. ;-)

I agree with Jim that you don't "need" a custom. If you choose a reputable builder like Pete Howlett, Peter Hurney, or Joel Eckhaus for example, you will get a beautiful instrument from whatever they have in stock at a very reasonable price and it will feel and play like a custom instrument.

Last edited:
Can we agree, when you are in a shop, even different instruments of the same make and model have some variations? There is some value to being able to hold an instrument, hear it, play it, etc. before buying.

Yes. More variation than you'd think. Play all the Kamakas in the factory at any given point and some will sound better than others. (I'm temped to say "WAY better," but should probably know better.)

But with customs, the builders often have year or years long waiting lists. Without being able to hear one and play one, how do you choose which builder? Then how do you choose which wood combination?

I wouldn't order a custom uke without playing a past build from the same luthier. Holding an instrument tells you a TON about the quality and style of any given craftsman. There are lots of great builders who probably build instruments that I wouldn't vibe with. Not because they are bad. Just different than what I want. There's no way to know from pictures and sound samples, IMO. Go to uke fests. Talk to people and ask to play their instruments. That's how the good word gets around.

I feel like it’s a little like taking a leap of faith, but it’s an expensive leap! What if after waiting two years and spending thousands, you are not in love?

That's the gamble, isn't it? :) I feel trust and building a personal relationship with the builder closes the risk gap. The better you know each other the easier it is to trust in their skill to provide an instrument that's a good match.

I’m so confused. I know this community loves certain luthiers. Before buying instruments from those builders, did you play a friend’s instrument first?

I spent a lot of time in said luthier's shop and played more of his ukes than most have the chance to before making such a decision. We were friends before business partners. Wouldn't want to do it any other way, though I realize that my situation is and was pretty special.

For me, I've been playing so long I know what I'm looking for in an instrument. To get it all in one instrument, it usually takes a custom. I'm at the point where this latest one coming up should have what I want where I want and the search should be over... Ha! For instance, I play sitting down; I'm having a Jumbo baritone made with a scoop in the lower bottom bout to lower the body of the uke an inch and push the lower bout forward a bit.(Photo) That puts the sweet spot, where I strum, right where I want it. ALso will have an asymmetrical shaped neck. The bevel on the front is a bit wider and shaped to the angle of my forearm while holding it.(photo). I couldn't find that in a store bought instrument.

It is a gamble with the first couple customs, but as a person gets more familiar with their preferences, it gets easier. If I was just starting out with little or no knowledge of preferences;I'd stick with the store bought instruments. I recently played an 50.00 Dolphin and was blown away by it.

The posts above give sage advice. I've found all but two of the luthiers I use on here. Buying used is a great way to get one also.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Good comments here. I started where Hodge recommended then purchased 2nd hand customs of the builders work that I liked. After that I felt like I was getting to know what I would want in an instrument.

After that it is purely a leap of faith but I have not been let down by any of the fine craftsmen who have built the instruments listed in my signature pane below.

I agree with Hodge, heck he has more experience than most. HMS vimeo channel is your friend, they have recording of many custom builds. I would also advise you to ask questions of the members here that own ukes you are interested in.

Most of my customs were and are used instruments, as Hollis mentioned, bought here in the Marketplace. It is a great way to experiment and find what you like and don't like. You can turn around and sell them for the same or close to what you paid. I have rehomed Mya Moe, Collings, Compass Rose, Howlett, etc, purchased used so I could experience them. All had a nice sound, most just didn't fit my fretting hand the way I like.

Last edited:
Good questions. This is why I would never buy a custom - or a tattoo. The closest I came was selecting options for a Bonanza uke. I made it easy for myself and chose one just like Barry Maz reviewed. I got a black walnut and aspen tenor Oreo with a cutout. If I had to select wood and trim designs for a custom, I'd never be able to make up my mind.

My Kanile'a isn't a custom, but, it's exactly what I wanted, so it's like it was custom made for me! I was fortunate enough to be able to go to a shop that had Kanile'a, Kamaka, Martin and Koaloha in stock. I had a Martin C1K at the time and took it in to compare. Sound wise nothing was really better than my C1K, but I wanted a Hawaiian made uke. After trying everything I decided to start looking for a Kanile'a and found a listing on ebay for a K-2 CP and got a smoking deal on a barely played instrument. It's my favorite by far and I sometimes question myself why I have other instruments.

Thanks for the replies! There are some interesting comments, some I find a bit more useful than others.

I think it may be helpful to introduce myself and give some background. 10 years ago, when I first started playing, I came back from Hawaii and thought I want to learn to play the ukulele. I went to the local store and bought a Lanikai, a laminate concert model. The action was way too high (I didn't know it) and within a month, I traded it in for a Hawaiian made ukulele - a KoAloha concert. The playability was way better and the sound was great!

A year or so later, I wanted to try a tenor size, so I bought a KoAloha Tenor and that became my primary player for the next few years. A few years ago, we remodeled the house and lived through the project (ugh). The ukuleles got put into their cases and placed in the garage. After two years and a lot of remodel headaches later, I couldn't find the KoAloha tenor. It broke my heart. I preferred that size.

When I bought the tenor, I always had a bit of regret that I did not buy a Kamaka, and after two months of tearing the house apart, I gave up, and started looking for a new tenor. Well, it happened to be Kamaka's 100 year anniversary. I took that as a sign, that maybe I should just buy a Kamaka. Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a Deluxe model because the employee said it sounded a little better than the standard anniversary ones. Of course, the day it arrives, I found the KoAloha Tenor. I thought about returning it, but the Kamaka deluxe tenor has a wonderful sound - it is a bit more, for lack of a better description, complex. You can hear the bass notes, and it balances so well with the top notes. the KoAloha still sounds great and is louder, but the Kamaka is really nice!

I later bought a Pono deluxe tenor, because it had a cedar top, a radius on the fingerboard, and because everyone on these boards, seems to love Ponos. For me, the radius is nice, but not a dealbreaker. I can't say it is so much better for me now to barre chords on the Pono. it's about the same. As for the cedar top, it's a little quieter than the Koa instruments. It sounds similar, just not as "complex" as the kamaka or as loud as the KoAloha. It still sounds great - just a tad different. I think cedar paired with mahogany typically is described as "warmer".

I also bought a slightly used Otha-San Kamaka because I was intrigued by the purported "bell sound" and the fingerboard. It is a little easier to play as the frets are together and you don't have to stretch as far but when you get into the upper frets, it is a little cramped. Sound wise, it is not that different than the Kamaka tenor. I can't say I have a strong preference for either.

I love watching the ukulele site videos, but to be honest, those artists are amazing and they make any instrument and string combination sound amazing. Even with headphones, I can't really tell the differences between them. As for uke groups and festivals, as my kids are getting a little older, I find a little more time to devote to myself. I don't usually play in groups, and I am a bit introverted, so it is a chore to enter into a new group. that's not to say that the ukulele community is not wonderful or welcoming, they are.

I guess my preferences and tastes continue to evolve as I improve as a player. I started wanting to strum Hawaiian songs. Now, I mostly practice finger style and instrumental music. However, sometimes, I get frustrated and just to enjoy the instrument again, I strum out some easy chords to a pop music song.

I'm intrigued by things like side ports, Spruce tops, unusual woods (you eat first with your eyes, right?) such as myrtle, mango, cocobolo, zirocote, etc. I have no idea what sounds come out of those combinations. words like "brighter" or "warmer" don't really mean much to me. Blackbirds seem neat. Customs seems like a different world. Every now and again, a custom comes up for sale, or shows up on the Ukulele site, but I just don't know enough about custom builders to say whether that is a right fit for me or not. Hence the original post.

I provide the above detail with the hope that maybe some of you have experienced a similar journey. If so, what were your next steps? How would you describe some of those tone wood combinations? etc. I may not be an expert player, but I am squarely an enthusiast of the instrument and I enjoy not just playing it, but the journey it has put me on.

Thanks everyone!
Rich

Thanks for the replies! There are some interesting comments, some I find a bit more useful than others.
The guys that can answer your queries are very few on this forum, but some of them have already commented their experience.

My opinion, from a different perspective: if you have an opportunity to meet your builder, you'll know. And a few of your questions regarding the build will be answered then. At the best level, true customs are a different process than buying a rack instrument, and if you're questioning if its for you, it probably is.

The guys that can answer your queries are very few on this forum, but some of them have already commented their experience.

My opinion, from a different perspective: if you have an opportunity to meet your builder, you'll know. And a few of your questions regarding the build will be answered then. At the best level, true customs are a different process than buying a rack instrument, and if you're questioning if its for you, it probably is.

Ok, this made me spit up my drink and laugh. I guess I have to go meet a builder. Reminds me of the old saying "when the student is ready, the teacher/master(/builder) appears."

I guess I have to go meet a builder.

Or not. It all depends on your personality. I don't intend to invalidate anyone else's opinions. Let's just say that fault lies in me, that I'm weird, but when I bespoke a ukulele, I didn't concern myself with most of the topics in this thread. Here's what I did

1. contact a more or less random luthier and said here's what I want
2. luthier replies saying which, in any, requests are impractical
3. I modify my expectation based on luthier's input
4. I say do it
5. luthier does it
6. I have a cool ukulele

So you don't have to be overly fussy, unless that's who you are and that's what makes you happy. I think all you need is an idea and the luthier will guide you to attain your idea. For example, for my last ukulele I had the idea that I wanted a warm sound and I wanted woods all native to England. So my luthier guided me to London plane tree, walnut, and viburnum (and don't forget the cherry rosette).

And there's no need for sound samples (unless that's your thing). It is a custom uke; it is going to sound good. Will it sound different? Of course, but after a week's time, that difference will become your default sound and you will wonder why other ukuleles don't sound like yours. My custom uke sounds different from my Kamaka (partially because of different tunings: CFAD vs d#G#CF) and I accept and exult in their differences.

This is getting a bit long-winded, so let me say that you can make the custom uke as complicated or as simple as you like.

You have some great ukes. Start making notes about each instrument you own.What are the likes and dislikes. Think about the neck shapes and how each one fits in your hand. You have a wide variety on neck shapes and fretboards.For myself,I like a thin, fast low action D shaped neck. Your Pono wouldn't fit the bill for me. For some, radius is a big deal, other not so much. For me, it's all about feel of the neck. After that, it's a discussion between me and the luthier on wood choice etc. where I usually go with his recommendations

I agree looking up a local luthier. If anything, they can give advice. There are those who are retired and make great instruments for the enjoyment of it and sell at a good price. I've bought a few local customs that too me, were worth a lot more than they asked.

When the right one comes along, you'll know it.

My recommendation for your next steps: Stop talking about wood and ukuleles and start talking about the music you like to play. Find repertoire you like and learn how to play it on ukuleles you already own. Challenge yourself for very little financial cost by finding simple pieces and making them sound amazing and or technically difficult pieces which force you to find the limits of your playing skills.
Write a ten paragraph post on the music you like instead of custom ukes, and ask for help finding more repertoire. Maybe you will find some tunes which need a uke that is not currently on the market, which is when you might get some value in thinking about getting a custom one made for you.

All good advice in the making music department Bill but you are missing the point of a custom ukulele. It is being involved in the process that makes it personal. Choosing the woods, the binding, pufing colors, neck shape and size, all the little things that make it special and make it yours. Looking at a beautiful piece of wood, be it an instrument, a coffee table, desk or chair fills us with warmth. There is something about wood, it is alive, it breathes, it moves. Then to hold the instrument which you helped design and then make music with it. That is why we order a custom insrrument, repertoires can be played with a bigger smile on your face.

Ok, this made me spit up my drink and laugh.

Not sure how to take this. My response was sincere, and certainly not intended for a choke or laugh.

Fortunately, guys like Patrick, Dave et al understand because they've been there. They know true customs are a different level of build, and I'm not talking just about quality.

Not sure how to take this. My response was sincere, and certainly not intended for a choke or laugh.

Fortunately, guys like Patrick, Dave et al understand because they've been there. They know true customs are a different level of build, and I'm not talking just about quality.

No offense intended. I just loved your line that if I were questioning if a custom was for me, it probably is. Sometimes, life is that simple.

Excellent viewpoints and other considerations from others as well, but I didn’t want to leave you with the impression that I was being dismissive of your views. To the contrary, I really appreciate them. I guess, sometimes we all need a little validation. This whole custom thing, while a subset of the ukulele community, is really interesting and a whole new area to explore!

Top Bottom