Uke therapy? Playing my uke is making my arm feel better tonight.

Doc_J

Reaction score
Today's the first day in over a month I've been cleared to play my ukes, after left arm MOHS surgery and a skin graft. Funny thing I noticed tonight, was that my arm didn't hurt after I played a while. Best it has felt in long while. Maybe it's the position, the movement, the vibrations, ...? or maybe it's all in my head. Don't know if this will continue, but I like it.

Anyone else ever find that uke playing made them physically feel better?

Playing can certainly lift my spirits, which always helps me feel better. Not the same as surgical site feeling better, but not unrelated.

Hope that you feel better & heal well. My mom had MOHS & skin graft recently too, & has healed well, & I hope the same for you.

Definitely! Many times I feel better in an almost spiritual sense after sitting down and getting lost in the uke. So glad you're doing okay, Doc!

Today's the first day in over a month I've been cleared to play my ukes, after left arm MOHS surgery and a skin graft. Funny thing I noticed tonight, was that my arm didn't hurt after I played a while. Best it has felt in long while. Maybe it's the position, the movement, the vibrations, ...? or maybe it's all in my head. Don't know if this will continue, but I like it.

Anyone else ever find that uke playing made them physically feel better?

Only just every time I pick one up! Get well soon Hodge ;)

I noticed a 7 point drop in my blood pressure after strumming for about 15-20 minutes. Would make interesting research—the effect of ukulele playing on blood pressure, mood, and stress. Maybe ukulele playing will produce results similar to those found for meditation.

That is so great to hear Hodge and thanks for sharing that.

One of the first orchestral type performances I participated in was lead my an old Hippy long time professional musician and music store owner. I remember something she said and it has always stuck with me..............."Feel the healing vibrational power flow through your body"

Everytime I strum a uke and feel it vibrate against me I think of that sentence.

Exercising your injury keeps it from getting stiff and immobile. Playing music keeps your brain working and synapses firing. It elevates your mood and makes us feel happy, or at least focuses our attention away from our problems. There is a meditative aspect to playing. Especially if you are experienced and are using muscle memory. You can get lost in the music.

Most of all, it's just plain fun.

Good luck with your healing Hodge. I hope the process is smooth for you.

That is so great to hear Hodge and thanks for sharing that.

One of the first orchestral type performances I participated in was lead my an old Hippy long time professional musician and music store owner. I remember something she said and it has always stuck with me..............."Feel the healing vibrational power flow through your body"

Everytime I strum a uke and feel it vibrate against me I think of that sentence.

I believe there is "healing vibrational power". I have read that cats purr for many reasons - not just when they are happy. They say cats purr when they are injured because the vibration is healing to them.

I've also read that playing a small harp held against your body can be healing.

I believe there is "healing vibrational power". I have read that cats purr for many reasons - not just when they are happy. They say cats purr when they are injured because the vibration is healing to them.

That is very cool about the cats. If I am laying down and our cat is laying on my chest and purring it sure is soothing.

Also another "good" reason to buy an all solid wood good quality instrument, they do vibrate more. Just tell your significant other that this Kamaka-Koaloha-Kanilea etc etc....... is good for your health and thats the only reason you bought it;)

Last edited:

It's true! I frequently experience therapeutic benefits when I play my harp.
Jan

That is very cool about the cats. If I am laying down and our cat is laying on my chest and purring it sure is soothing.

Also another "good" reason to buy an all solid wood good quality instrument, they do vibrate more. Just tell your significant other that this Kamaka-Koaloha-Kanilea etc etc....... is good for your health and thats the only reason you bought it;)

Nothing better than cat purring. And, with cats, you also get what I like to call "fuzz therapy"!

i have chronic pain in my joints including wrists which is usually made worse from playing. but i have found lately that a little bit of use is good, keeps the blood flowing and keeps my muscles from getting too out of shape. plus, as others mentioned, the fun of it probably helps as well.

hope your recovery goes well!

Top Bottom