What do you do when one string breaks or is damaged?

I think it depends on how old the string set is and how the string broke.

One of my banjolele’s strings broke at the tailpiece, so I put it back on and tightened it back up, and it broke again. Then, since the strings were old, I changed them all.

I don’t like to change strings, so put it off as long as possible. :eek:ld:

... when a string breaks on a uke, just buy another uke.

I think it depends on how old the string set is and how the string broke.

One of my banjolele’s strings broke at the tailpiece, so I put it back on and tightened it back up, and it broke again. Then, since the strings were old, I changed them all.

I don’t like to change strings, so put it off as long as possible. :eek:ld:

you might check for burrs or sharp edges on your tailpiece. A bit of sanding with a tightly rolled up tube of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper will take care of most.

Replace the whole set, it's like $5-$10...then you have all new, matched strings.

replace them all, you'll be surprised how much better the uke sounds with fresh strings

Replace the whole set, it's like $5-$10...then you have all new, matched strings.

I'm in agreement, although in five years of playing my ukulele every day I've never broken a string, so I can't speak from experience. But if I did I would change out the whole set. What do you do with the other three strings if you don't? I can guarantee you that if I took one string out of a set, I wouldn't be able to find the other three a week later. But if they are new strings and you break one, I guess that would be a different story. Why am I even answering this question? I've never broken a string to replace it and this is the first time I've ever thought about what I would do if I did. What do I know? Don't listen to me?:)

you might check for burrs or sharp edges on your tailpiece. A bit of sanding with a tightly rolled up tube of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper will take care of most.

Nah, the strings were really old. It was the tight first string that popped. I don’t play this banjolele very much any more. It was the the first “banjo type instrument” that I bought. Mostly it just sits around to look at.

We ol’ guys tend ta git sentimental as the years pass. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I replace them all and sometimes go to a different manufacturer. However I am sort of stuck now on Living Waters or Worth browns.

I think I've only ever broken one string in six or so years of playing, and that was when I tried a new (to me) brand and tuned them up to BbEbGC (three semitones higher than what the strings were probably designed for). I can't be doing with wimpy strings so I replaced them all.

I have rarely broken a string, but I have had a few shred. Normally when this happens I replace the set. On a new set (1 month) or less I replace the damaged or broken string. I tend to change strings about every six months so I don’t have old strings.

I've yet to break one, but it would depend on if I were or were not recently thinking about replacing them all. If I weren't, then I'd just replace the broken one. That's what I do on my viola, where they tend to wear out (frayed or unwound windings) rather than actually snapping in two. But I don't use "string sets" on anything other than my mandolin family instruments (which are a type I've never seen break, even after years on an instrument). On ukes and violin family instruments, I use mixes of different strings.

bratsche

Last edited:
Top Bottom