PDA

View Full Version : specific, but still don't know what I want.

warrior492
05-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone. I'm brad, and I want a uke.

Haha, not an addiction yet, but it'll most likely become one. Out of all the searching I've done, I determined I'd like a concert size uke. I prefer ones with the cutaway, although I realize not many have them.

The very limiting part, I've found, is I'd like an acoustic-electric. Or one that I can plug into an amp. I play guitar and bass (bass more proficiently) and I really would love to get into the ukulele too. So i thought the best way would be to ask those who play! So any suggestions?

seeso
05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I would get this Kala spruce top uke (http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-SCE-C-sprucetop-CONCERT-Cutaway-Ukulele-w-pu_W0QQitemZ250424300866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3a4e739542&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50) from musicguymic.

SOLID SITKA SPRUCE TOP
Mahogany body and neck
Concert scale
Cutaway design
Factory installed shadow electronics with nanoflex technology
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge
Solid mahogany neck
High quality GEARED TUNERS
FREE EXCLUSIVE MGM SETUP..UPGRADED Aquila strings.

fret dressed and polished
fretboard oiled and waxed
nut and bridge adjusted
strings upgraded to premium AQUILAS

FREE Quality hardshell padded case included (49.98 value)
FREE Pitchpipe
FREE Hal Leonard Chordfinder Book
FREE SHIPPING USA!!!

buddhuu
05-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Brad. Welcome! :shaka:

Cutaway will seriously limit your choice in concerts, there really are relatively few.

As for normal concerts, if it were me I'd go for the Kala solid acacia - but that's just because I am seriously lusting after all the Kala acacia ukes. The tenor in particular... Oh, it will be mine!

Personally I would find the uke you like first and then worry about a pickup later. I retrofitted a pickup to my tenor no prob at all.

buddhuu
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
How about that! I typed while Seeso was posting. Two independent recommendations for Kala.

There are other equally good ukes in that price range, but Kala is one of the safe bets.

Ukulele JJ
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Of course, a lot of this is going to depend on what you want to spend.

JJ

warrior492
05-19-2009, 04:08 PM
thanks for the feedback so far. I actually looked at that Kala!

I don't really have a set budget, but I figure anything under $300ish would be okay. Naturally cheaper is easier. Especially nowadays. But I do know you get what you pay for.

mealfrog41
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I ablsolutely love my Oscar Schmidt tenor... the concert model is very nice as well, I think they are great instruments for the price. Just thought I'd throw that out there with the Kala recommendations. Good luck!

dnewton2
05-20-2009, 01:29 AM
I believe Bushman makes a concert cutaway model. I haven't played one or any Bushman but I have heard good things about them.

There are more choices in this make (Concert Cutaway) now then a year ago. I wanted one so bad but there were not many choices. Now there are at least a few choices. Good luck finding perfect uke.

berylbite
05-25-2009, 04:05 AM
don't let the lack electric pickups hinder your selection. I find that a transducer mic works very well for ukuleles. a transducer is a little pickup that you stick onto the soundboard with some putty. You stick it on when you need to be amped up, and peel it off when you don't.

ichadwick
05-25-2009, 08:04 AM
What Seeso and Buddhu said.... good advice.

Cutaway is nice, but the small size and space of a uke makes it pretty easy to play up the neck with a 'standard' figure-eight model. You really won't play up that high very much, though. I seldom get to the 14th fret at all, and about 90-95% of my music is played on the 10th and lower frets.

Kala is a good brand. I have two and love them both. I prefer the cedar topped, but that's my taste.

Consider a Mainland, too. Very nice sound - loud, bright and great sustain. No electronics (yet - they're working on new models).