PDA

View Full Version : UU shirts in public?

Harold O.
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I got my UU shirts late last week and wore one to the Topanga Banjo & Fiddle Contest (where I was a vendor) on Sunday. A lot of people asked about it. :D

I've been wearing my black one while running errands today and can't get out the door without someone asking about ukuleles (YOU play ukulele?), the Underground (is that the name of your band?), or telling me their life story (I used to play when I was little). :old:

The goal is to spread some uke love, but jeez.

Here's a show shot. That's a harmonica stand in the foreground and a music stand in the back (woodworker don'tcha know). I used to write books. Last year it was 105 degrees. This year was ten degrees cooler. :cool:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=351&pictureid=1979

mailman
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't have a UU shirt (yet), but if I did, I'd certainly wear it in public. Maybe I'd finally meet another uke player....;)

ThePunkWay
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
i just ordered two shirts, some strings and a tuner, and i plan to order more very soon, and yeah, i plan to wear them everywhere! gotta represent the UU!!

UkuleleHill
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I rock mine all the time! I love being stopped.

pithaya9
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I wear my UU shirt all the time just need to buy more so that I have one to wear while the other one is in the wash. Aldrine's CD is great also.

therimidalv
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I actually wore my UU shirt to work, and since I work at Subway, EVERYBODY was askin about it. It was allota fun and i think I got a few people on it too. :D

Roy Jovero
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I get a lot of people asking me about the uke whenever I where mine. They usually ask if I play despite the fact that I'm usually wearing a uke around my shoulder.

ukuleletim
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I just ordered some myself. Seemed like a must have.

ukebrudder
05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't own any but all this talk of wearing them out and being stopped with questions about the ukulele sounds intriguing. Off the the online UU shop to browse!

Bubbalele
05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't see the stickers in the store. I put one on the case of a new Kamoa concert that I picked up on vacation. I got stopped a couple times by people who wanted to know where to buy a professional ukulele like mine.....Well OK I can play two tunes on it so far. Really was fun.

Guting
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I rarely wear the one deach gave me, too tight across the chest. I gotta take it easy on the bench press.

Kurobashi
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Just ordered me a couple of UU shirts. I will certainly wear them in public, even to work.
Spread the word, convert the masses :shaka:

Myala509
05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
They ran out of my size in the color i want. :(

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I rock mine all the time! I love being stopped.

its great aye... i even get stopped for the uke itself.

jkevinwolfe
05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
http://files.me.com/jkevinwolfe/dm9dle]

The lovely and talented Ms. Ukulelezo teaching in her UU T at the Bushman Luau.

Bratset
05-20-2009, 03:11 AM
If I had one I would wear it all the time, everywere ;)
But the little money I have, sadly have to be used on other essential things... :(

dominicfoundthemooon
05-20-2009, 03:43 AM
i have...

a green one (as most of you know)
a brown one
a black one

i had to get more than one because my gf would not let me have it on for more than 3 days in a row...

i just need about 4 more.. and i am set.. i wish they had that old style brown with the white ukulele and the red underground..

i should post some pics here.. but i will so get deached..

d

generem
05-20-2009, 04:08 AM
I wear mine when ever ever possible. Wore it on the Aloha Festival this weekend and got stopped a few times by peps wanting to know what its about. Same thing with Harold, 1st thing someone said was Ooohh is that an ukulele band? Then I explain to them about our great community here. Only have a black one but I think its time to get a few more.

Also sportin a UU sticker on my car now too...

bbycrts
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
I rotate my t-shirts between my UU shirt and my Kanile'a "Got Ukulele?" T. I need to order another UU shirt, if just to hopefully get a sticker - I really want a UU sticker and didn't get one with my shirt... :( I'd also love a Kelly Green UU shirt...but they're not available in extra massive...

beeejums
05-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I was wearing mine when I met Jake and he said "Hey, Ukulele Underground. I didn't know the shirts came in green." It made me smile.

Ahnko Honu
05-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I wear mine fishing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/KAKU-MANIA/P1010215.jpg

haole
05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't have one yet! Probably going to get it in green. :D

Repping UU with a sticker on my car, though.

pebbleInDaPacific
05-20-2009, 06:39 AM
The only one I have so far is the "Deach me, please!" shirt. It sounds kinda dirty when you think about it, so I wear that at home when i'm feeling dirty. :D Still have to get a regular one that won't make people wonder if they should be offended. :p

05-20-2009, 06:47 AM
aside from the obvious (Hayward `Ukulele Festival), i've actually seen a few (possibly 3 or so) here and there throughout the bay since i've joined here in January of this year. Which is pretty remarkable, because these locations were not music/Hawai`i-centric. did i go up to them? no, but i pointed it out to my wahine.

i don't have a shirt, and don't plan to get one (if you saw my closet you'll know it's not personal). I have a couple stickers from Heather at the single San JO get2gether I attended, but I may deach these to some cats I promised stickers to, if ever I get off my lazy `okole and go to the post office.

I do tell folks about this place, though, when I kick it at the `Ukulele Source in SJ Jtown.

deach
05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
..... Still have to get a regular one that won't make people wonder if they should be offended. :p

PM me your size, color pref and address.

ukeatan
05-20-2009, 07:05 AM
PM me your size, color pref and address.

Haha, you're too much deach. It was the "feeling dirty" comment that sprung you into action, huh? :p

josuegroundhog
05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
If I had one I would wear it all the time, everywere ;)
But the little money I have, sadly have to be used on other essential things... :(

Go win the UKISOCIETY 2000th post contest and I'll buy you one! :rock:

UkuEroll
05-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm waiting till I can afford to buy 2 as I want a Black and a Green, Being in the England, I'v got to take into account shipping costs

UkuleleHill
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I wear mine fishing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/KAKU-MANIA/P1010215.jpg

You mean you actually do something other than surf this site?!??! :D

Jimmy
05-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm waiting till I can afford to buy 2 as I want a Black and a Green, Being in the England, I'v got to take into account shipping costs

Yeah, I'd love to get one, but getting stuff sent here is a pain with shipping charges to just get one shirt.

I don't have a shirt but you guys know I'm proud of the UU :D

Bratset
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Same, shipping to Norway is what makes it to expensive...

TheWannabe90
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Want to see some UU shirts in public?
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11039
Sorry Dominic... I just HAD to do it :p

Harold O.
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM
What really prompted this thread was the reception I got at the voting booth yesterday. The crowd was thin, I was sportin' my black UU shirt (I have a blue one also), and the lady handing out ballots wouldn't let me go until I explained about ukuleles.

Turns out a man at the other table used to play was interested in starting up again. So there was more talk. Then I went to the grocery store and got caught up again.

I'm getting the UU presentation (as it were) down, so it's not that big of a bother. But I did not anticipate this much interest.

UkuleleBlake
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Now I'm dying for a UU shirt. :)

gotrice415510
05-20-2009, 03:17 PM
same happens to me when i where mine.... by the way, the sleeves are a little short in length and it shows of my embarassing tan lines i got from tennis.

Craig
05-20-2009, 04:31 PM
...unlike Cali. This is from last year's trip to Kauai and a visit to Larry's:

http://ukulelecraig.com/UUG.jpg :shaka:

UkuEroll
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Maybe somone in Europe could buy in buld and send em out from there, I can't as I'm poor.

dominicfoundthemooon
05-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Want to see some UU shirts in public?
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11039
Sorry Dominic... I just HAD to do it :p

i don't mind.. spread the legend of the green UU shirt all you want!

Hankthetank
05-21-2009, 04:01 AM
I wear mine all the time and in the city of Chicago, I haven't had anyone, so far, ask me about it or uke in general. The funny thing is that the one place I was asked about my UU shirt was in a town in the middle of nowhere Arizona. I didn't even have cell phone reception. But a lady walked up to me and asked me if I played and for information so I directed her to the site.
Just funny that in a city of millions I get a minimal reaction. But in a city of less than a thousand people where there are still cowboys, I ran into the one person for a hundred miles who was interested in starting to play the uke. You never know where and when you ever get a chance to spread the love:shaka:

allinfun
05-21-2009, 06:14 AM
That's because smaller towns have friendlier people! :D

pithaya9
05-21-2009, 05:32 PM
That's because smaller towns have friendlier people! :DSo true.:cool:

ThePunkWay
05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
My shirts came in!

check the new av. :)

Apfelkuch3n
05-24-2009, 07:33 PM