Software for Tab

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I know that the topic has been discussed before, but in case there is anything new for someone to add - and for those of us who didn't pay too much attention before:

What are some recommendations for easy to use software for creating tab? Not expensive is a plus as well.

I've been forced to move to a new computer, (my 10 year old computer finally died), so decided to take the plunge on software for creating tab as well.

I've used Tabular on an IPad, but didn't find it easy to use, (maybe just because I didn't use it much?), and think it would be easier to do the work on a computer anyway.

Suggestions?

Edited to add: In case it matters, I'm looking for something to use on Windows 10.

Look at PreSonus Notion or Progression. I use Notion iOS and it is easier than Tabular (I think - never got very far with that one either) and pretty powerful. But I have to believe the desktop version would be even better. Progression may be all you need for basic stuff.

I only tried MuseScore.

Seems intuitive enough for me, but there might be something better out there.

I downloaded MuseScore at one point, but had other things going on, and never got back to it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll also check out Notion and Progression.

I'm hoping for something easy to use, so I'll work on tabs more.

I've been using Musescore. Way more flexible than Guitar Pro, but takes some learning to get the details.

Another chime in for Musescore. There are some quite helpful tutorials on YouTube. It's also very affordable :)

I've just started using Musescore and am pretty impressed with its ease of use and functionality.

theres another thread going on writing tab. i use tefpad for ipad. there are computer versions too. the ipad was 5.99, writes s.n. and or tab and plays along for practice or u can print

+1 Musescore

I use it for both tabs and lead sheets. If there is a feature I cannot remember (e.g. how to make triplets) google instantly tells me how to do it.

Last edited:
I use MuseScore but only for notation. I've not tried the tab function as I rarely use tab. I can recommend it. Free, powerful, flexible.

Does Musescore have an app for Ipad? if not, which one for Ipad and comp both.I looked in the Apple Apps and only had Musescore with view, didn't say anything about writing.

Top Bottom